Core i7 Overheating (76C Idle)

Mellowz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
First of all, hello, I'm a new member at Tom's Hardware. :)

So I've been having issues with my Core i7 965 overheating and I really want to find an answer before I fry it so I'm looking for some advice. (8

I noticed my computer making this noise so I looked into it and noticed the temperature display on my motherboard was reading about 76c idle (normal is 42c idle for me @ 3.8ghz). So I went to BIOs, removed my overclock, and it will still reading the same temperature so I just shut it off.

I'm running a Cool Master V8 on top of the chip and it's running at 100%. It's really hot so I know the heat is being transfered. I have not changed the thermal paste yet as I don't have any on me for the time being.

I've talked to some friends and they said it could be my power supply, thermal paste, cooler, or processor. Ever since I started overclocking, I've been checking temperatures often and last night before I powered down, it was running at 43c and now I'm averaging 76c and it climbs if I leave the computer on.

Everything else on my system is working 100% fine. Just need some advice on where to start.

Thanks. :)

Solution
Sounds like it is time to replace the thermal interface material. Order some Arctic Silver 5, or another of your choosing. Remove, clean the cpu and heastsink base with rubbing alcohol and coffee filter paper. Also use compressed air to clean the V8's fins; I have used a 2.5" natural bristle brush to do that.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
First off, take your computer and lay it on its side. If your cooler for some reason isn't making full proper contact, then gravity will give you your answer. If your temps go back down then you just need to remount your heatsink properly. Next, which software are you using to monitor temperatures? I recommend Hardware Monitor. In addition, check what temperatures your BIOS reads. I also recommend replacing thermal paste ASAP, and putting it on properly. I also have a V8 and its a beast. Good luck.

Sounds like it is time to replace the thermal interface material. Order some Arctic Silver 5, or another of your choosing. Remove, clean the cpu and heastsink base with rubbing alcohol and coffee filter paper. Also use compressed air to clean the V8's fins; I have used a 2.5" natural bristle brush to do that.

Solution

Mellowz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Alright, I got my computer laying on its side and the temperature went back to normal (for about 10 minutes,) and it slowly started climbing again. Gonna change the thermal paste and re-mount the cooler and see how it goes.

Mellowz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Alright. Replaced the thermal paste and it's working good again. Thanks guys! :)

Here's what it looked like before changing it out. (8
Photo-0139.jpg

TP spread looks ok - not great but not bad either. Reapply a grain size drop in the center of ur HSF when reapplying, or do the even spread method.

Make sure the screws are tight and not crooked. Good luck