Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2010 8:09:33 AM

Me and my friend built a computer today. The specs are

G.skill 4 GB DDR3-1600

Intel i7 Quad core I7-860

Antec 750 Watt

Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

WD 250 GB 16 Mb cache

At first the computer was running fine and then we smelled something burning or like some weird smell. So then we felt both of our computers air flow from the outside. Mine seemed fine and his did at the time too. As time went on his computer just randomly shut off(we were gaming). Then we waited a little turned it back on just to make sure it would and it did. We then turned it back off and he made the wiring in the computer a little more organized. It was then after he did that that the computer would only turn on for a split second. We went through and reconnected everything, but it still does it. I don't know what else to do. If you guys can help that would be great. I can also provide more information about certain things if needed....

UPDATE: We actually messed around with it some more and unplugged the fans to the case and it turns on just fine. Then when I just plugged the case fans back in it started to smoke(right under the power button) and it smelled like a firework.... So I'm guessing there is a short in the case?

More about : computer turns turning

August 4, 2010 9:43:44 AM

Wiggles said:
Me and my friend built a computer today. The specs are

G.skill 4 GB DDR3-1600

Intel i7 Quad core I7-860

Antec 750 Watt

Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

WD 250 GB 16 Mb cache

At first the computer was running fine and then we smelled something burning or like some weird smell. So then we felt both of our computers air flow from the outside. Mine seemed fine and his did at the time too. As time went on his computer just randomly shut off(we were gaming). Then we waited a little turned it back on just to make sure it would and it did. We then turned it back off and he made the wiring in the computer a little more organized. It was then after he did that that the computer would only turn on for a split second. We went through and reconnected everything, but it still does it. I don't know what else to do. If you guys can help that would be great. I can also provide more information about certain things if needed.

Sounds like the heat sink is not properly attached to the CPU.
The CPU overheating will cause the PC to shut down. Check your heat sink is attatched properly, and that the correct amount of thermal paste is applied.
m
l
August 4, 2010 12:42:00 PM

a smell like something burning, I would call psu possible short on motherboard.. check standoffs.. and of course that is if you removed the plastic from the heatsink
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:52:29 PM

We actually messed around with it some more and unplugged the fans to the case and it turns on just fine. Then when I just plugged the case fans back in it started to smoke(right under the power button) and it smelled like a firework.... So I'm guessing there is a short in the case?
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:01:55 PM

Wiggles said:
We actually messed around with it some more and unplugged the fans to the case and it turns on just fine. Then when I just plugged the case fans back in it started to smoke(right under the power button) and it smelled like a firework.... So I'm guessing there is a short in the case?

What kind of case is it, out of curiosity?
Also, Im just nosey, but what kind of graphics card have you got in there? It sounds like quite a nice rig! :) 

If the case is faulty then you might have it under warranty, and be able to get a replacement, but another solution may be to get a fan speed controller. You can get some with thermal sensors and digital readouts, which look cool.
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:31:45 PM

Nice!

Shame about the case fan controller not working properly. I guess the right thing to be would be to send the case back, which is gonna be a bit of a pain in the ass.
m
l
August 4, 2010 9:24:44 PM

yeah sounds llike a short on mainboard possibly due to standoffs.. i would check that before rma'ing anything
m
l
!