Whats a better Option?

I have used reviews here for ages, but this will be my first post.

I am a student in the IT Field, and am looking to put together a new custom rig. I went on newegg.com and put together a parts list, after which I stared at the price in shame.

As a student I have access to a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 which I intend to use. This machine will basically be an all purpose personal development box (it'll be a network storage server, VM Webhost, and gaming machine, if not all at once).

So, here is the parts list:

Intel Core i7 930
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard (The newer one with proper triple channel support)
Cooler Master HAF-X Computer Case (Seriously, I've looked at lots of cases but this is pretty much perfect)
2x GTX 460 EVGA Superclocked in SLI
Corsair HX Series 1000 W Modular PSU
128 GB SSD with SATA III support (Newegg has a nicely priced one from Crucial)
12 GB DDR3 1066

I've done my homework and learned from benchmarks and reviews that the RAM speed of 1066 is plenty, and the 1600 builds are both more expensive for less gain (like under a 5% improvement for a much higher cost). Since I obviously intend to make use of every bit of the system, I was thinking I would go with 12 GB of RAM, another reason for this is that my current machine has 8 GB and I don't know whether that'd count as an upgrade if I only got 6 GB, but any suggestions are more than welcome. I also do not intend to overclock the CPU, which is why I'm going with the 930 as opposed to the 920.

Now here is the newegg parts list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220378
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130567
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

Approx Total in cart: $2,003.92

Notes:

Shipping not included, 2 of the GPU's listed and 2 sets of the listed RAM. I intend to port my current machines keyboard, mouse, monitor, and DVD ROM (although I do most everything from iso and USB these days including OS Installations).

-----------------------------------

I am actually typing this on a six year old cyberpowerpc custom build. It's seen some upgrades of course, but the bulk of it is original, and still runs very well considering. I would say I'm a pleased customer, so I decided to check out their pricing as a market comparison. After going through the configurator I was absolutely astonished to see a price tag of $2034.

Notes:

I think this is also without shipping, but this price tag also includes:

- Complete assembly
- Standard 3 year warranty
- Keyboard, Mouse, and DVD Rom

The following two items are the only two I can see a price change occuring from, and one of them is a price changes in the opposite direction one would expect (cheaper):

- 6 GB of Corsair Dominator 1333
- 128 GB Corsair SSD

They don't seem to offer anything below 1333 otherwise I'd check to see the price of 12 GB of 1066. I also found that none of the SSD's in their lineup of 128 GB's offer SATA III support.

By dropping the SSD for a 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II drive, I was able to drop $313 off the price tag, and the Crucial SSD costs less than that on its own, which essentially would make this entire thing less than the prices on newegg.

-----------------------------------

So, I have two really big questions right now.

- Why is it so much less expensive on Cyber Power PC?

- Does Cyber Power PC allow for part orders (I'd prefer to DIY anyways)

Considering they have to earn a profit, and I really doubt the warranty itself is free even though it is standard (I mean most companies charge $300 for that sort of thing), so I would imagine the parts themselves unassembled and ordered through them could cost up to $400 less than what I would be paying through newegg.

Enough of my rambling, I look forward to your replies.

~Casey
2 answers Last reply
More about whats option
  1. I doubt you'd get the same pricing if you bought parts from CyberPower, if they even allow it.

Also CyberPower buys its parts in bulk, 1000 pieces at a time probably. Then they only add a razor thin markup as opposed to the ~20+% markup for MSRP. They make their money by selling a large volume. They also don't do as much advertising as say Dell or HP. Since they buy in such volume, they have to offer only a limited number of configurations. More than Dell and HP probably but less than the vast choices a self-build has.

Warranty does have a cost. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpower only served as an intermediary between you and the part manufacturer.
  2. To start I want to mention I contacted Cyber Power PC by email and received a reply earlier today.
    They confirmed that their SSD’s do not support SATA III yet, and they don’t supply RAM with speeds below 1333. I was also quite saddened that they don’t provide part orders but only fully assembled computers, and was given a link to their “sister company” website buyxg.com whom they claim to use for the part supplier.
    After going through the parts at buyxg.com I came up with individual parts priced between 10 and 20 dollars higher than those on newegg, so obviously I still feel like I must be missing something.

Bliq, I want to thank you for your reply it does somewhat explain things but it also makes my questions all the more prevalent.

I agree that cyber power PC probably doesn’t charge as high of an MSRP, but they are doing more work. Whether they act as a medium between me and the part makers or not they are using their time to handle the warranties and fully assemble the machine. Considering that they do “more” they probably have more overhead costs, thus I would assume a higher price (otherwise they are making much less profit). I would almost wager an estimate that the actual price of my parts is around $1600 and they make between $300 and $500 per machine assembled.
    I don’t doubt that they sell a lot of machines but as a company they have to be making a profit or they wouldn’t even be in business. From your statements they advertise less than companies like Dell and HP, and this should not “help” their sales. In that same regard they also have fewer options as say, newegg. I would thus conclude that a company like newegg sells more in general because they are also selling individual parts not entire computers. This is why I can’t imagine they are making too small of a profit per machine sold.

To clarify my point, what I am asking is if Cyber Power PC, who is doing more work and has more overhead costs, can sell me an entirely assembled system with warranty “handling” as newegg charges for just the parts, doesn’t this mean that newegg is charging substantially higher than cyber power pc? I guess the reason this bothers me so much is it seems so very backwards, kind of like buying a new car because the parts to fix the same car are just too expensive (not that it doesn’t happen but it certainly seems awkward).

Can someone tell me what I am missing, or is this right?
Ask a new question

Read More

Cyberpower Systems Product