Cloning c: from 64GB ssd to 120GB ssd

gauravroy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I am new to this forum and plan to replace my 2 year old SSD, (Solidata 64GB) with a new Corsair 120GB SATA III SSD.

The reasons I plan to do this are as follows:

1. 64 GB isn't enough for all the applications I run, so I am very short on space. I use the SSD only for the O/S and Applications. All data is on the HDDs.

2. I plan to use the Corsair 120GB as the O/S drive and retain the Solidata 64GB as a "scratch disk" for the heavy Adobe applications (read Photoshop and Premiere) to improve performance.

I plan to clone my existing Solidata 64GB SSD (since there are no partitions and data on this disk, only O/S and apps) onto the new Corsair 120GB SSD.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it ok to do a cloning from SSD to SSD? I have seen many posts discouraging the cloning of HDDs onto an SSD. I am not sure that applies for SSD to SSD cloning, but I just wanted to be sure. Doing a clean install will take me a lot longer to restore all the workspace environments across so many applications.

2. What is the best tool to use for this? Will it be fine to use Clonezilla or should I use a trial copy of Acronis? Are there other better options?

Thanks,
Gaurav

Solution
If your system is running Fine, yes go ahead and "clone" DO NOT need third part "cloning software"!!!

On just go into windows, Control panel, select mack up, then on left side select Create a system image. Put image on HDD. May skip "make a restore Disk" when promted, IF you have windows installation disk.

Disconnect only SSD, connect New SSD.
Boot to either the restore disk creted above, or a windows Installation disk.
Select Repair, the restore using an Image. 10_15 Min later reboot to new SSD.

On final step, this will create a OS Partion the same as your 64 gig SSD, SO THEN go into disk manager and expand disk to full size of New SSD.

Walla-bang-Done. and Now enjoy NEW larger SSD.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I cloned a system yesterday with True Image Home 2013. It is very is easy to use. The created Rescue Disks work permanently, and also allow to clone your drive very easily.
Just choose
manual not automatic
source drive
target drive
proportional
start clone

If your system is running Fine, yes go ahead and "clone" DO NOT need third part "cloning software"!!!

On just go into windows, Control panel, select mack up, then on left side select Create a system image. Put image on HDD. May skip "make a restore Disk" when promted, IF you have windows installation disk.

Disconnect only SSD, connect New SSD.
Boot to either the restore disk creted above, or a windows Installation disk.
Select Repair, the restore using an Image. 10_15 Min later reboot to new SSD.

On final step, this will create a OS Partion the same as your 64 gig SSD, SO THEN go into disk manager and expand disk to full size of New SSD.

Walla-bang-Done. and Now enjoy NEW larger SSD.

Solution

gauravroy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the advice Chief. Had a query, you say "Create a system image. Put image on HDD". Should I be putting this image on the new SSD after connecting it to the spare SATA port on my mobo? Or should I put it on one of the HDDs I have on my system?

When you click on "Crease system image" it will search for valid place to copy the image to. It's first choice is an 2ndary Internal HDD. I then copy it to an external HDD as a backup.
Then
When you need to restore this image, for what ever reason - Your reason is a New Drive,; When inserting a bootable repair disk (or windows install disk) you select repair, restore from image it will search your system for an image (normally only looks in root directory ie D:\, if none found on internal will then look at externally connected drives). I've even put it on a large thumbdrive (64 Gig). It Will than display it for selection.

ram1009

Distinguished

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/sata-wire.html

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I do entire disk cloning on a almost daily basis. I do anything from windows xp to windows server 2008.

HDD SATA to HDD SATA on Ghost32 will take about 7 minutes
GHO to HDD SATA on Ghost32 will take about 45 minutes
To create a GHO from a HDD SATA will take about 30 minutes

SSD to SSD on Ghost32 will take about 3.5 minutes

I have done several windows 7 64bit machines from vortex 3 64gb to crucial m4 256gb

If you have a server and plan to do this several times creating a ghostcast server would be best.

ram1009 - Concur, The EZ -Gig-xx works great. It came with one of my SSD.
Just in the OPs set-up just using windows 7 built-in method is probably beter. The side benifit is this image can be retained and reused (san-san backup)

Have also used EasyUS which is a freebee that works well.
PS will I'm OK with SSD->SSD cloning, I much prefer a clean install for HDD->SSD.

gauravroy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Chief, I was able to do everything upto the penultimate step. It worked like a dream. Please advise on how I do the last step which is "go into disk manager and expand the disk". I am in disk manager and can't figure out how to. Sorry for repeatedly asking questions.