Monitor Goes Blank on desktop

Amhran

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I have kind of a strange problem going on. When booting into windows, everything is fine up until the it gets to showing the desktop on my primary monitor. When the desktop comes up the screen goes black. The monitor is still on (does not go to standby) and my second monitor is working as normal. The only way I can get that monitor to stay on is to open a tab on my browser and move it to the blank screen where it maximizes then turn the monitor off then back on again. if I minimize the window so that the desktop shows at all the monitor goes black again and I have to repeat the steps above. It started a couple of days ago. It might have been a coincidence, but a bit before the trouble started a game I was about to play decided to check my directx and update it or something. I thought this may be the issue so I updated directx from the windows website to no avail. Any help would be awesome.

thphaca

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
You may have the BSOD (black screen of death). Try this. If the monitor is awake and you can still render on the primary monitor (through CTRL+ALT+DEL or whatever tricks you use), it's likely the above. If this fixes the problem, you'll either have to bust your butt to remove the malware or just run that .exe everytime you boot.