Sign in with
Your question

IDE vs SATA

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2012 12:48:30 PM

Hey guys my 160Gb SATA1 hard drive is making crackling noises. The noise is just SO ANNOYING. I want to replace it with my old, quiet IDE hard drive 320Gb with an IDE to SATA converter. Both are 7200RPM so how much speed am I losing? It feels to me that this SATA HDD is even slower than my old IDE drive.

SATA drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148018&name=Internal-Hard-Drives):

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160023AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5"

IDE drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148139):

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5"
(Perpendicular Recording) What is perpendicular recording. Is this better?

Thanks for all of your answers!

More about : ide sata

a b G Storage
October 25, 2012 12:55:14 PM

The IDE drive has more cache and probably has higher data density, so it's possible that it's simply a faster drive.
October 25, 2012 2:23:01 PM

blazorthon said:
The IDE drive has more cache and probably has higher data density, so it's possible that it's simply a faster drive.

Any way to find out if it has higher data density? What is data density by the way.

I've been noticing with the sata HDD the start up times are noticeably longer and when browsing the web Firefox randomly freezes for a sec sometimes.

EDIT: Found out that the IDE drive should have data transfer rates of 133Mb/s and the SATA drive should have 150Mb/s. Probably because of it being broken (crackling noises), it has lost some of its speed. That's what I think.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
October 25, 2012 5:32:45 PM

CubeIce said:
Any way to find out if it has higher data density? What is data density by the way.

I've been noticing with the sata HDD the start up times are noticeably longer and when browsing the web Firefox randomly freezes for a sec sometimes.

EDIT: Found out that the IDE drive should have data transfer rates of 133Mb/s and the SATA drive should have 150Mb/s. Probably because of it being broken (crackling noises), it has lost some of its speed. That's what I think.

Data density is easily found by dividing the drive's capacity by the number of platters and if you care to, then adjusting for surface area of the platter.

What told you that the IDE drive should be 133MB/s and the SATA drive should be 150MB/s? I find both numbers to be unlikely. Those might be the maximum theoretical bandwidth of their interfaces, but that's not their real-world performance if I was to hazard a guess. The IDE drive is probably supposed to be faster in this case (having a faster interface doesn't make a drive any faster than it is unless the other interface would have been a bottle-neck).

Beyond that, that IDE drive's interface maxes out at 100MB/s, not 133MB/s, according to the Newegg link that you provided.
October 27, 2012 11:42:49 AM

I just made a benchmark with the SATA drive. Still waiting for the sata-ide converter. Seems like the speeds are really fucked up if they should be 150Mb/s.
a b G Storage
October 27, 2012 11:53:06 AM

150Mb/s = less than 20MB/s. If you were told 150Mb/s, then your sequential is more than double what it should be. If you meant 150MB/s, then you're referring to the bus bandwidth, not the drive's performance and no, it's not supposed to actually perform anywhere near 150MB/s.
!