Upgrading CPU

G

Hello, ***Product Model*** Socket S1 638 - Sempron**** I was wondering if I can upgrade my processor. My processor model is AMD Sempron SI-42. It is a single processor runnning at 2.1 gigahertz. This processor is installed on my Compaq laptop. My motherboard model number is 30FE. The manufacturer is Compal. The chipset vendor is 780G. I was wondering whether it is possible to upgrade my processor to an AMD dual core processor? If so, what model and do i need to upgrade my motherboard to support the dual core processor? If more technical information is required, please say so. thanks, Pedram

welshmousepk

Distinguished
In a laptop? no.

it may be possible that there are a few CPU upgrades, but they would be hard to find and very expensive. laptops are not made to be upgraded, and you cannot swap out motherboards or other components like you can a desktop.

What budget do you have? you will be better off just getting a new laptop.

G

I was looking at an amd turion X2 TL-50, but i am not sure if my motherboard will support it and if it is better than an amd sempron sq-42.

4745454b

Titan
The problem with upgrading laptops is the cooling. Each model can only handle ??? watts. The chipset and other parts might be able to handle a dual core or a faster CPU, but if the cooling for the laptop can't then you'll just burn everything up. I have no way of knowing what the max CPU is that your laptop can handle, and often times the OEM won't say.

Even worse, even if you can get one in there, the company probably doesn't have a bios that will support it.