Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Fails to Power on.

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2010 3:45:47 AM

Hello, My comp is about 3 yrs old. Core 2 duo, Asus p5b deluxe, 3gb corsair xms, enermax liberty 500W PS, ati 1950xtx, winxp pro sp3

A week ago i decided to get windows 7 and start upgrading my components. installed windows 7, everything went fine. Got my new vid card ( nvidia GTX 460 1GB ) didn't realize my PSU only had 22A on 12v rails, while the card said it requires a minimum of 24A. I had already put the card in and installed it and everything. it seemed to be working fine. So I left my comp on and went to bed. When I woke up my computer was off and nd now it won't turn back on at all. The Mobo power light is on but when I hit the power switch nothing happens, complete silence, no fans moving, nothing. Could I have damaged my PSU? or worse my mobo? or EVEN worse my vid card by doing what I did ? Thanks for your time.

More about : computer fails power

Best solution

a c 716 ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 3:55:15 AM

That PSU has 32amps on the combined +12volt rails which is fine for your card. I had the same PSU for just over 3 years and it decided to die on my the same way as you are describing. The only other thing is if you have a power surge it is equipped with a internal protection that you have to reset with the power switch on the PSU it self. If that does not work then most likely it died. In my case it did not take anything with it.
October 10, 2010 4:01:52 AM

rolli59 said:
That PSU has 32amps on the combined +12volt rails which is fine for your card. I had the same PSU for just over 3 years and it decided to die on my the same way as you are describing. The only other thing is if you have a power surge it is equipped with a internal protection that you have to reset with the power switch on the PSU it self. If that does not work then most likely it died. In my case it did not take anything with it.

32A combined huh ? well thats good to hear :D  ...Are you referring to the external power switch on the back of the PSU ? Or something inside of it ? I already have a corsair 750 in the mail coming to me so I'm really hoping the PSU is the problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 716 ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 4:07:14 AM

Yes the switch on the back of the PSU. I got the Corsair TX650 as replacement. I tried the paperclip method on mine and it would power on but not when it was connected to the motherboard, something to do with the power OK circuit.
m
l
October 10, 2010 4:26:59 AM

rolli59 said:
Yes the switch on the back of the PSU. I got the Corsair TX650 as replacement. I tried the paperclip method on mine and it would power on but not when it was connected to the motherboard, something to do with the power OK circuit.

Yea I just jumped it with a paperclip and it came on too, but no luck while its actually connected. But all in all it does in fact seem like a PSU issue like you said, I'm glad it's not something more severe. Thanks for the help man..... really appreciate it. :bounce: 
m
l
October 10, 2010 4:27:12 AM

Best answer selected by blckvec.
m
l
!