Disk is write protected usb

Solution
if you're using windows 7
Open a command prompt window (start –> run –> type in the run window cmd

In the command prompt type "diskpart" Type "list volume" this will list all the drives on your computer and give them all volume numbers.

Next you want diskpart to set focus on the write protected drive "select volume #" which ever volume is the disk in question.

Now enter "attributes disk clear readonly" and then type "attributes volume clear readonly"

Check the drive in question, you should now be able to access the disk with full permissions.
if in XP open registry (regedit.exe)
then open the root : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Storagedevicepolices .... search for "write protected " now set the value to "0"

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
if you're using windows 7
Open a command prompt window (start –> run –> type in the run window cmd

In the command prompt type "diskpart" Type "list volume" this will list all the drives on your computer and give them all volume numbers.

Next you want diskpart to set focus on the write protected drive "select volume #" which ever volume is the disk in question.

Now enter "attributes disk clear readonly" and then type "attributes volume clear readonly"

Check the drive in question, you should now be able to access the disk with full permissions.
if in XP open registry (regedit.exe)
then open the root : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Storagedevicepolices .... search for "write protected " now set the value to "0"

Solution

hbhardwaj

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi, I followed the steps given by you. It did perform the "attributes disk clear readonly" but it didn't perform "volume clear". It said that the operation is not supported on removable media.

hitesh.bhrdwj@gmail.com

Lothsy VelascOsz

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Agreed!
I hae an AData 64 gb micro sd. I hae 2 computers. I formated and can write read as I fit in Computer 1 (C1), but not on C2.
On C2 it is write protected for some reason. I tried these methods:

Tape over little slot (3 layers of tape to make sure),
Tape around the card ( obviously the adapter that comes with the micro sd)
checked the little "lock" button, even flicked it over a couple of times ( and although I thought its stupid) I followed SanDisc's Instruction to leave it on locked mode for 30 sec then flick it to unlocked mode

Alright thats the phisical tips, now to virtualones:
I did the whole regedit shannenigans, I had no such line so I added it ( made sure the 1st letters are capital and so on and so forth)
I did the cmd "solution" as well at the dik part its fine but at the volume part it says: The operation is not suppoted on removable media

After all that BS I am still not able to write on it on C2, but I have full access to it on C1.
Any athoer ideas?