PX171M in stereo?

acesea

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Alright guys, Im digging the hype on the Hitachi CML174 display, and once I found out that the Planar PX171M uses the same display simply in a nicer casing AND it cost less I jumped on it over at monitorsdirect.com

Should be getting that baby mid Jan since they dont start shipping till Jan 15.

The purpose of this post is aimed elsewhere however. I am curious if anyone here with a pretty fast response time LCD ever tried using those stereo glasses? You know, the ones that make games and such look 3dish. I read some articles discussing them and they mentioned that you need a CRT with high refresh rate times, such as 100mhz and higher; the articles went a step further and said LCD are not meant for 3d stereo glasses. However, from my understanding LCD's do not have refresh rates because there is no need to refresh each pixel since its either on or off. So I would imagine that it IS possible to use such shutter glasses or whatnot with LCDs.

Anyone have any experiences? I am very interested. Thanks.

NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
Are you sure they are the same? if you look at the spec sheets for them at monitorsdirect, the panels look very similar except the hitachi has a viewing angle of 160/160 and the planar says 140/140 .. if they are the same panels how is this possible?

If they are the same panel, the only downsides I can see are the integrated speakers adding a couple of pounds that nobody will use, or that planar does not guarantee 0 dead pixels like the hitach ? and The hitachi has the integrated power supply so it doesnt have that bulky brick thing you have to plug in I think.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NoTiG on 01/03/03 09:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The viewing angle could just be the difference in how companies rate their products.......I've mentioned this several times, and this is one of the reasons I have held off on getting one (that and the beautiful 20.1" LCD from Philips).

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

acesea

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Im not really freaking about the viewing angles, and yes i did compare the two before buying them. But according to the specs, as well as Jim at monitorsdirect.com, i am under the fact that both use the exact same display. From what i have seen on the Hitachi, i dislike the simple square case. The Planar looks a lot more stylish.
What I am curious about is that 0 dead pixels you mentioned. So Hitachi will send you a new monitor if you find a dead pixel on it? When i compared the two monitors, it said they both carry the same policy for dead pixels and sub pixels. Anyone here with the Hitachi have any issues? Im interested. Thanks.

jgrtmp

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Zalman makes both a 19 & 22" 3d LCD monitor that has special drivers viailable from NVIDIA. Just go to the NVIDIA site or Google Zalman LCDs for more info. These are ~ 1/10 the cost your looking at from planar without having to step up your graphics card (if its NVIDIA based).