Can You Get Flash Without Adobe? Meet DivX Plus Web Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

so according to the title, divx can do the same funcionality as a whole, regarding flash plugin?

can it be programmable, you can make animations, games, applications with divx player?

or does the text admit that flash is only about video? so adobe is pushing a whole software just to play video on browsers?

to the dear writer of this report, please understand that tom´s hardware is a long standing website, and it conquered the credibility of millions of people around the world, so be more carefull next time you wanna write a sensationalist title to bring people to your text.

flash does a lot more than playing video. and there´s no such thing as "flash video"... video is VIDEO, no matter played by flash, html5, "bleep-blam-bloom technology", whatever else.

and the day you have so many calculations and big chunks of scenery, characters, audio, and server liasons, you´ll have an impact in the system, no matter if its flash, html5, or anyother app.

magic doesnt happen out of flash. data weights anyway it comes, and theres no guarantee that producers are the best for their jobs, by working with optimizations in many levels of production.

simply theres no guarantee at all, so expect a heavy ugly bad optimized html5 applications in the future, that will impact on browser´s performance anytime sooner or later.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I'm not impressed
adobe may suck, but divx isn't much better as far as openness goes.

Star Trek on cbs is an absolute annoyance to watch ...
My gnash plugin don't work there

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While its great to have an alternative to flash, without support for the latest browsers (IE9, FF4, and most importantly for me Chrome) its not going to spread very far.

ph0b0s123

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Wow, what a puff piece. About that software came out over 6 months ago. Even the graph which is supposed to show how much better this software is for playing flash shows that CPU utilisation is the same if not worse than without. The article did also not mention that most have binned this version of divx player and gone back to older versions due to the amount of crashes the software causes in browsers. Cannot believe 6 pages was spent on this.

And while I am complaining, cause normally I love the site, it's very annoying that comments I leave on the UK site don't appear on the US site, and visa versa. Can understand when a site is in a completely different language but Brits and Yanks can talk to each other yer know.

It's an article i already know about, but i've found divx CRASHES by ie8 browswer. While an OLDER version, doesn't.
Only if they fix the program to run stable, will i use it. I don't need something that doesn't work most of the time.

G

People still use Internet Explorer?

mayakleoboy & ph0b0s123: +1 and +1

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Anyone who uses DivX is a complete tool. It was once okay (pre v4) buyt its now just a substandard crashy piece of bloatware that takes over your PC even more than the king of all take-over-ware iTunes.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
A plugin that plugs into a plugin. Brilliant !

Yo dawg, we put a plugin in yo plugin so now you can watch Flash videos through DivX, through the Flash Player container.

Hahaha. :slap:

[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Anyone who uses DivX is a complete tool. It was once okay (pre v4) buyt its now just a substandard crashy piece of bloatware that takes over your PC even more than the king of all take-over-ware iTunes.[/citation]
Just like Nero was once ok. Now it's a big fat cow.

G

Hasn't Adobe been doing hardware acceleration support for many months?

Also, for locally stored files, VLC is doing hardware support now. Capturing a Flash stream without decode is available in lots of free applets.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I had high hopes that this would breath a little extra life into a Win XP Pentium III 1GHz box w/ATI 9600 graphics. Nope... IE8 YouTube video plays ok for 5-10 seconds without audio and then locks up while buffering. It was almost tolerable at 360p before, so I uninstalled this DivX widget. If they kick it out of beta, I might try again.

G

"DivX Plus Web Player is the first alternative to Adobe's Flash Player"

Hmm...try again. Check out Gnash, which dates back to December of 2005: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash/

G

DivX Plus Web Player is one of the worst pieces of software I've installed. Its goal was to provide better performance than Flash? Well it's certainly failed there. My Celeron can handle Flash video better than a video playing with the DivX web player. Not only that, but DivX doesn't like Tout videos. It'll play the audio but no video motion. I've also had it not buffer videos completely on numerous occasions. I'm going to VLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.