Sign in with
Your question

Coax or Ethenet

Last response: in Networking
March 29, 2010 2:11:01 PM

Hi guys,

Likely a stupid question but i'm in the dark, not my area.

Just had virgin broadband installed, the access point (1) into my home is on one side of the house (living room) and my pc (3)on the other side of the house (kitchen),
I have wireless capability but i want to hard wire my pc to the net for hopefully obvious reasons.
My query is:
my modem (2) connects to the access point (1) via coaxial cable and then of course to my pc (3) using ethernet cable, do i use short coax and keep modem in living room and use 10 meter ethernet cable to connect to the pc or...
do i use a long coaxial cable enabling me to put the modem in the kitchen next to my pc and use shorter i.e 2 meter ethernet cable to connect to the pc, i have a feeling that one of these options will result in loss of speed and I'm not sure which.
I obviously want to maintain the fastest uninterrupted internet connection i can.

Any help would be great appreciated, I did browse somewhat before posting but this site is a victim of its own success and 20 pages in I couldnt resist the urge to just ask.

Be lucky,

Bren

More about : coax ethenet

March 29, 2010 2:44:51 PM

I'd do more ethernet personally. With my cable modem, I've had all kinds of issues with signal strength / bad connections. Too strong, not strong enough, changed connectors, etc. I'd just leave less to go wrong on that side. 10m of ethernet cable is nothing - you won't lose anything measurable.
!