blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hey all, quick question. I am running 6GB 1600Mhz tri-channel on my board. I'd like to go to at least 8 (maybe 10) but my board can only do a max of 3 modules in tri-channel config. So if i upgrade the memory i will be downgrading to dual channel. The 6GB i have is from a tri-channel kit, so i don't want to buy another kit (i know you can get larger kits) because i'd basically be throwing money down the drain. So i'm left with what i have or having more memory but no tri-channel. Anyone on here have any recommendations which is better, to have 10GB dual or 6GB tri? Thanks!

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Do you know if you're even in need of more RAM? If you're not even maxing out your current 6GB then you'd be better i think having tri-channel of enough RAM rather than dual-channel of too much RAM.

If 6GB's isn't enough RAM and you really do need more, then the point is moot and your only real choice is to go whichever way gives you the amount of RAM you need. In this scenario, it would be better to have enough slower RAM than not enough faster RAM. I mean, if you run out of RAM, you're not going anywhere anyway.

That's my perspective anyway. Anybody feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong, or batsh*t crazy!

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Most importantly, what are you doing with this computer? If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on how much memory I'm using on a day-to-day basis -- using the windows task manager, if on Windows -- and buy more memory if and only if I'm ever exceeding memory use of 6GB.

In my experience, use of any more than 4GB of memory at any one time for even a combo of the most demanding tasks is not just rare, but unprecedented.

You could be running some autocad stuff that requires a ton of memory, but if you're just gaming -- 6GB is more than enough.

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
as far as i know i'm not maxing it out with my games, i run some tough ones too, like crysis, and i just started the witcher 2, they all run fine. Is there a program that will record how much memory is being used while i'm playing a game? Obviously i can't check it while i'm playing.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

There are benchmarks -- I can't think of where they are -- that show that triple-channel memory produces increased performance on SYNTHETIC benchmarks, but you're not going to notice a real FPS improvement over dual channel.

That being said, I would say that at 6GB, you're good to go for gaming.

I would recommend you save your money for the next generation of video cards -- that's what's going to make the difference for gaming.