Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
ok,yesterday i got a cheap 500W psu,it's written things are like:
+3.3v 25A
+5v 25A
+12V 17A
+12V 17A
total of these are about 610 watts.
it's a cheap psu so i don't know it's efficiency,but it should not be that bad as it's got 2yr warranty
My system:
intel c2duo e4500 2.2ghz
hd 5670 graphics card....
1 case fan
1 dvd drive
1 250 gb seagate barracuda
2 gb kingston ram
intel dg33fb mobo

NOW the question is:
while playing games it's getting a little hot,not much but let's say it's fan pulling out little warm air.
is it normal?
also if it's overloaded,and let's say if it blasts, how can it take other parts with it,because i have read that while dying psu does this.But how,i can't understand.Is it like those cables from psu supply over voltage or something like that for that moment?or is it like something else?let me know.....

but my main question is that if that little heat is normal?

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
What is the PSUs name?

Also if its not a trusted name brand like Consair , Seasonic *those two are the best imo* , Antec .. and a few other brands... like I belive XFX is ok but not as good as the first 3 I listed.

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

it's not like those brands,not even comparable by far to them
it's a brand named foxin,a local brand,i just got it for about 15$ after converting from INR...
so is this heating normal?and please answer my second question also if you can...

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

It was $15?

That PSU is going to kill your computer.......

There is a very good chance it could die.. and kill your other parts..

If you have the money get a new PSU from Cosair, Seasonic, or Antec

*But ask here first before you buy*

It should not be super hot.. Heck my PSU I got from Cosair is cold when I touch it =D..

It might be a sign that is dieing..

But anyways I am not a expect but anyone who has worked with computers will tell you that you should never cheap out on your PSU... Unless you like fireworks in your computer. :lol:

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

thank you randomacts for that useful info,but how does a psu takes other parts with it?

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Your best option is to make another thread, asking for help choosing a new psu.

Post your specs,

and budget.

Good luck :)

Oh and about that 2 year warranty...

Most of the time it ends up costing more for shipping then the unit itself costed the first time you bought it.

And often they will give you the run around trying at all cost not to replace your PSU...

You cannot just add up the total power from each of the rails. For one thing, the 3.3 and 5 volt rails total around 210 watts in this case. But I will bet you that the total 3.3 and 5 volt power available is around 150 watts. I will also bet you that the total 12 volt currentis around 30 amps or maybe 32 amps.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

He only payed $15 for the PSU the voltages are prob listed wrong. They lie very often on those cheap PSUs. :lol:

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

n
n
nGood luck on finding the right PSU
n
n:)
n
nIf I knew PSUs better and power requirements other then good PSUs brands I would help you choose one in your price range.
n
nBut alas I can not..
n
nJust open a new thread and you should get the help you need.

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

this kinda help is much appreciated,thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.