Sign in with
Your question

Copying multiple files at once or one at a time?

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2012 6:08:17 PM

Hi all!

I am currently backing up my important files before installing Windows 8 tomorrow, but i was wondering: What would be fastest? Copying the Documents, Videos and Pictures folders onto my external HDD all at once, or one of them at a time? Right now i have 3 file transfers open, which probably will take about an hour. I have been wondering about this before, but never asked anywhere :) 

Thanks in advance!

/gammarik
October 26, 2012 8:01:06 AM

If you're transferring your data into a solid state drive like flash or SSD then you can do all the transfer at once , and if you're using HDD then it's preferred to use a single BIG file to move at once , the head latency is what slows down the transfer .. you also can use the copy queuing apps for single transfer
October 26, 2012 8:23:41 AM

It is faster to copy one folder at a time !
You can use Total Comander and queque all copy operations with F5 + F2 (to confirm and start) then leave it to do the work.
Related resources
October 26, 2012 8:27:31 AM

silliconcrayon said:
If you're transferring your data into a solid state drive like flash or SSD then you can do all the transfer at once , and if you're using HDD then it's preferred to use a single BIG file to move at once , the head latency is what slows down the transfer .. you also can use the copy queuing apps for single transfer

SSD is faster, but normal hdd usualy behave badly when they have to read simultaneous from 2 or more files... and more badly to write them!
Also external USB... if is not USB3 don`t even think about it since is very limited to speed transfer! As a result, if one of drives is not SSD should go with single copy at time.
October 26, 2012 9:22:51 AM

_Cosmin_ said:
SSD is faster, but normal hdd usualy behave badly when they have to read simultaneous from 2 or more files... and more badly to write them!
Also external USB... if is not USB3 don`t even think about it since is very limited to speed transfer! As a result, if one of drives is not SSD should go with single copy at time.

I think you're high as kite bro :D  probably said the same thing , alluding the conditions , I didn't mention what to use ... because he could be using any of those ...
!