Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • CD-Rom
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2010 4:17:26 PM

not sure if i'm in the right forum for this, seemed the best option. hopefully someone can help me out.

my computer (running windows 7 64 bit) no longer boots from cd. i've got the bios set with boot priority 1 on cd-room, that doesn't work. i've started up into the boot menu and selected cd, that doesn't work.

the drive itself works fine once windows is loaded. reads and writes just like expected.

any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

thanks.

More about : computer boot

a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 4:25:19 PM

Can I ask... Why you need to boot from CD? Once windows is installed, you want the boot order to be HD first than CD.

Is there a certain program or disk you are trying to boot from, which could be defective?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 8:21:22 PM

It makes sense to me to have the CD as a boot device BEFORE the HDD. That way IF you place a bootable CD into that drive it will boot from it; otherwise it will boot from the HDD.

However, although you believe the drive works, it will not boot from there and you say the device IS first in the priority settings. If those are true, then the disk you are using has a problem - it does not have a readable set of boot files. Have you tried different bootable disks to see if any others work? If only one disk fails to boot, check it for dirt, scratches, etc. in case it can be fixed.
m
l
!