Sign in with
Your question

Really need your help mates! Bizaare issue with my Asus Sabretooth X58

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 3, 2011 3:21:03 AM

The following is a repost I have been feeding out, trying to see if I can find someone who might have a pitch as to remedy these two problems.

Ok, so I recently picked up another 3 sticks of RAM to accompany my current 3 sticks, totaling 12 GB of memory (1600s). All 6 DIMMS are the exact same model of G.Skill RipJaws, and all 6 have been tested to work.

Now, in the process of installing these, I have come across two problems. The first is that, even though I had 12 Gigs in, Windows and the BIOS were only reading 8. I didn't know this at the time, but this is apparently a problem with the board itself, in that some Sabretooths just don't read RAM properly and will only use 4 GB of 6 installed GB or 8 GB of 12 installed, but only sometimes. If this was the case with my original 3 DIMMS, I never noticed it before. As of now, only the original three cards are slotted, but Windows is only reporting 4 Gigs. That said, I know I've gotten 6 gigs to respond from this machine before while doing memory intensive tasks and watching the task manager.

That's problem 1. Trying to fix that. Here's problem 2, and it's much more critical right now:

One of the first things I did in response to the above memory issue was a BIOS update. Version 0402 was present, and I flashed up to 1006. I cleared defaults, then set it back to ACHI mode. Now, my computer has a problem booting. Whenever I turn it on, it proceeds as follows:

1. Power up for 1-2 seconds. Chassis lights report no HDD activity.
2. Computer powers itself down for 3-4 seconds.
3. Repeat 1 through 2 again precisely once.
4. Power up again, proceed as normal. Neither letting it boot to the HDD and Windows nor entering and then exiting EZ Flash 2 produces any anomalies, but entering the BIOS and then exiting it will send be back to step 1.

Furthermore, my computer can no longer recover from sleep mode. When it goes to do so, it will behave like steps 1 through 3 above, but upon reaching step 4 I will get no indication of HDD activity from the chassis lights. Cold reboot, steps 1 through 3, and then on step 4 present me with an option to either system resume or proceed as normal (both work fine).

Attempts to fix the BIOS issue so far include:

-Switching back to IDE mode and DLing the appropriate controllers (I hope I can go back to ACHI mode once this is resolved, or I will be PISSED). No improvement.
-Load System Defaults via BIOS. No improvement.
-Reset BIOS via CMOS. Upon bootup, does not perform steps 1 through 3, but returns to issue upon BIOS recovery.
-Flash back to 0402. Cannot, as EZ Flash 2 will not let me due to it detecting the ROM as an older copy (stupidly; someone would flash back for precisely this purpose of troubleshooting. Why is this restricted? A warning screen is sufficient lads).

Everything is fine and stable on the OS level, once the computer is up and running. Save for the inexplicable missing volatile memory.

Anyone able to help me with either issue? Every mention of this issue with the RAM and this board point to it being a design defect, and an RMA being the remedy. Not an easy option for someone as far off from the mainland as myself.

The focus right now is on the bootup/sleep recovery phenomenon, as it is both more intrusive than the memory detection issue and directly interferes with dealing with the latter issue. I have since found a slew of extra things to try for fixing the memory detection issue (and tried upping the DRAM voltage; no improvement upon doing so). These are two separate issues. Before the BIOS update, the memory detection issue was present with no boot/save recovery issues. As of now, all the memory installed is exactly the same as the memory installed since October, and all variables within the computer are identical to before except for the BIOS version.

More about : mates bizaare issue asus sabretooth x58

September 8, 2011 1:18:47 PM

Designopolis said:
Here's problem 2, and it's much more critical right now:

One of the first things I did in response to the above memory issue was a BIOS update. Version 0402 was present, and I flashed up to 1006. I cleared defaults, then set it back to ACHI mode. Now, my computer has a problem booting. Whenever I turn it on, it proceeds as follows:

1. Power up for 1-2 seconds. Chassis lights report no HDD activity.
2. Computer powers itself down for 3-4 seconds.
3. Repeat 1 through 2 again precisely once.
4. Power up again, proceed as normal. Neither letting it boot to the HDD and Windows nor entering and then exiting EZ Flash 2 produces any anomalies, but entering the BIOS and then exiting it will send be back to step 1.

I am having this exact same issue! Did you find a solution?
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2011 2:58:38 PM

I did flash the BIOS to 1201 this morning, and it still is doing the power up/power down loop 2-3 times before it boots
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 8, 2011 3:11:36 PM

Next thing I would try is reseating everything and changing the CMOS battery.
m
l
September 9, 2011 11:15:28 AM

I kinda gave up on this issue. I tried everything Overclock.net threw me, including a battery switch, 1201 update, switching out all my slotted memory, reseating the CPU, checking the CPU slot pins, breadboarding, contacting ASUS, nothing. Asus had no fix for me besides an RMA (and an eagerness for me to jump though hoops by making suggestions I had made clear I had already done, also 48 hour response time my ass) so I just live with it.

As far as I'm concerned, American Megatrends messed up and won't admit it.
m
l
!