Sign in with
Your question

Accidentally inserted headphone connector to usb

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2010 6:04:10 PM

Hello, I have accidentally inserted headphone connector to usb.

Now the sound seems distorted when playing in stereo, but works fine on mono, also the usb ports on the front panel of my PC doesn't work.

The PC still functions as I am typing in it. Now, is there a way for me to make the front audio and usb ports functioning again? can i just replace them? (without replacing the case or the mobo?)

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 11:27:47 PM

Nope, you'll need to replace the motherboard, or have it repaired, to fix the usb issue.

I beleive you will need to replace the case's front HD audio/mic module (if you can) to fix that issue. Thats if I understand what you did.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 11:37:57 PM

HOW THE HELL do you manage to plug in a audio jack to a USB port!?!?
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 12:51:40 AM

Shadow703793 said:

+1
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:36:29 AM

He's talking about the 7pin connectors on the motherboard, not the green headphone jack ;) 
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:49:48 AM

I don't remember, but I think the USb and HD audio have the dummy in different places, maybe you damaged the pins or sth...
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:04:59 PM

Yeah, they are in different spots, so a pin was most definitely bent.

Were you able to bend the pin back to plug in the cable?
m
l
October 18, 2010 2:38:27 AM

Shadow703793 said:

I dunno. It was too dark. I was blindaiming. I just felt it was a usb jack and then moved on to find the audio jack. I didn't know computers can be this fragile. I thought they made it so that a child could not unknowingly destroy it.

Were you able to bend the pin back to plug in the cable? said:

Were you able to bend the pin back to plug in the cable?

I don't think pins are the problem here since I can definitely insert a usb flash drive into the usb jack.
m
l
October 18, 2010 3:30:07 AM

Oh, so you WERE talking about the exterior USB ports. How is the sound scratchy if you only damaged the USB port?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2010 5:07:06 AM

markcl said:
I dunno. It was too dark. I was blindaiming. I just felt it was a usb jack and then moved on to find the audio jack. I didn't know computers can be this fragile. I thought they made it so that a child could not unknowingly destroy it.

I did that last week =p didn't destroy it tho... your USB was prob starting to die before you inserted it.
m
l
!