How to setup home vlan

porkcharsui

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hi there,

I'm trying to setup 3 seperate VLAN's at home, but I've never done this and would really appreciate some help. 1st let me explain the hardware setup:
Cabel modem --> router(US Robotics/USR8054) --> accesspoint 1/2/3(Sempre/WLR300-1K)

Now I want every AP to be a seperate VLAN(wireless only), they're on 3 different floors(3 appartments), and I don't want them to see each other. The router connects to the internet and gets the WAN IP#.
Now how do I go about setting this up? Do I have to setup a DHCP on every AP, and give the AP an static IP# in the routers range or can the router function as DHCP for the different VLAN's? Do I have to setup the AP's as bridge or router? Please help me!

jharvey1029

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Hi there,

I know I'm replying to something so old, but I have a similar situation and would love to know if this can be configured.

My equipment is as follows

1x standard Comcast router (connects to) 1x Netgear AP
I also have a Dell 2716 16 port gigabit switch that supports Vlans, however I have no experience and very little knowledge of them. However I would love to have a wireless AP on my back porch that is separate from any device that is inside my house. So looking to connect maybe 2 vlans.

My biggest problem is when I look at the config options within my Dell switch, I'm confused as heck. I have no idea what vlan membership is or how the vlan ports should be configured. I'm comfortable with configuring IPs and updating firmware etc and have been given the hint that it maybe that my NetGear might need an OpenWRT flash, but I dont know. Surely this small segmentation can be archived without too much head scratching???

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Latest posts