vinCe

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer at home and have Server 2003 on one of
those portable Mobile Dock that I use at school. I installed the Docking bay
on my computer at Home thinking that I could have a dual boot system and be
able to do my Homework at home. Well, when I slide the drive with 2003 hard
drive into the Docking bay, my computer reads it as just another Hard drive.
How can I get this to dual boot. My computer at home is a Gateway 500 se with
a 200gb western Dig, and my portable one is a Maxtor 20gb hard drive. My
computer at home reads it as F drive and at school we set it up as C drive.
Thanks in advance.

Vince, if Server 2003 was installed on the Computer at School then moving
the hard drive to your home computer would
present major problems with 2003 looking for all the School's Computer
Device Drivers.

"Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Pro on my computer at home and have Server 2003 on one of
> those portable Mobile Dock that I use at school. I installed the Docking
> bay
> on my computer at Home thinking that I could have a dual boot system and
> be
> able to do my Homework at home. Well, when I slide the drive with 2003
> hard
> drive into the Docking bay, my computer reads it as just another Hard
> drive.
> How can I get this to dual boot. My computer at home is a Gateway 500 se
> with
> a 200gb western Dig, and my portable one is a Maxtor 20gb hard drive. My
> computer at home reads it as F drive and at school we set it up as C
> drive.
> Thanks in advance.

vinCe

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Vince, if Server 2003 was installed on the Computer at School then moving
> the hard drive to your home computer would
> present major problems with 2003 looking for all the School's Computer
> Device Drivers.
>

> "Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows XP Pro on my computer at home and have Server 2003 on one of
> > those portable Mobile Dock that I use at school. I installed the Docking
> > bay
> > on my computer at Home thinking that I could have a dual boot system and
> > be
> > able to do my Homework at home. Well, when I slide the drive with 2003
> > hard
> > drive into the Docking bay, my computer reads it as just another Hard
> > drive.
> > How can I get this to dual boot. My computer at home is a Gateway 500 se
> > with
> > a 200gb western Dig, and my portable one is a Maxtor 20gb hard drive. My
> > computer at home reads it as F drive and at school we set it up as C
> > drive.
> > Thanks in advance.

vinCe

Could I put the Server 2003 CD in my computer at home, would that load the
proper drivers?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Vince, if Server 2003 was installed on the Computer at School then moving
> the hard drive to your home computer would
> present major problems with 2003 looking for all the School's Computer
> Device Drivers.
>

> "Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows XP Pro on my computer at home and have Server 2003 on one of
> > those portable Mobile Dock that I use at school. I installed the Docking
> > bay
> > on my computer at Home thinking that I could have a dual boot system and
> > be
> > able to do my Homework at home. Well, when I slide the drive with 2003
> > hard
> > drive into the Docking bay, my computer reads it as just another Hard
> > drive.
> > How can I get this to dual boot. My computer at home is a Gateway 500 se
> > with
> > a 200gb western Dig, and my portable one is a Maxtor 20gb hard drive. My
> > computer at home reads it as F drive and at school we set it up as C
> > drive.
> > Thanks in advance.

Vince, you would have to do a Dual Boot with WinXP an Server2003.
You could accomplish that if you have enough
hard drive space and during the 2k3 install create a new partition.
2k3 would see your XP OS and include it into it's
bootloader giving you the option to select XP or 2k3 at bootup.