Freeze plus buzzing sound while gaming

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hi,
I am having problem while gaming. As the title say it my computer is freezing and make a buzzing sound for I dont know 5-10 seconds. The only way to get my computer working again is to restart it. The freeze dont appear to be every time i am playing a game. I would say it freeze 1/5 - 1/8 of the time.

I did a memtest86+ 4.10 and got no error.
My cpu temps min-max are approx :35-50
My gpu temps min-max are approx : 44-67
I think that thoses temps are good

If you got other test to make me run I am open to it.

I am thinking that it may be my (4years old) psu that dont give enough power while gaming.

Is there anything I can do to stop theses freezes?

Here are my specs:
• Windows 7 pro fr x64
• CPU AMD phenom II X4 965 Black edition
• Motherboard Asus M4A78-E
• Ram(4x 2go) OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 CL5-5-5-18
• XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GO
• Hauppauge Wintv-HVR 1250 PCI
• Noctua NH-C12P SE14 heatsink fan 1400mm
• Manhattan multi-card reader/writer hi-speed USB 2.0, 3.5``
• Ultra 5 port USB 2.0 pci card
• DVDRW Lite-on 16X Dual-layer
• Seagate 320Gb, SATA300, 7200.10 RPM, 16Mb cache (4years old)
• Enermax Noisetaker II 485w (4years old)
• Coolermaster Wave Master

Thank you
Julien

Solution
I'd agree that it's likely to be your PSU at this point. Are you able to swap it with another one if you have one lying around or can borrow one etc? Unfortunately there's not too much else you can do to test the integrity of your PSU.

Just for reference these are the official recommended power specs for your system based on your graphics card:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system, not just your card.

As you can see, you're pretty close to the limit as it is, but when you factor in capacitor aging/quality of the PSU etc. then it seems your power supply is the most...

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'd agree that it's likely to be your PSU at this point. Are you able to swap it with another one if you have one lying around or can borrow one etc? Unfortunately there's not too much else you can do to test the integrity of your PSU.

Just for reference these are the official recommended power specs for your system based on your graphics card:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system, not just your card.

As you can see, you're pretty close to the limit as it is, but when you factor in capacitor aging/quality of the PSU etc. then it seems your power supply is the most likely suspect. As I said, swap him out and see how it goes. Post back with any updates! Good luck!

Solution

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

So whats your telling me is that it may cause shorts so getting a new psu will maybe solve the problem..

I am willing to change my psu but if there are things I can try anything before buying a new one, I will try(cause it wont cost only 10$ for a new psu). So if you got an idea go ahead and tell me!

I am loocking maybe for corsair ax750. what do you think of it?

Thanks
Julien

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Just curious, but how long has this been going on?

I'm having a similar issue with my setup, and I've yet to solve it.

Do you have another video card around you can test with?

For my problem I found that while my resets might not always occur while gaming, I can not make it through 3 runs of 3DMark Vantage no matter what I do.

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Last winter I changed everything in my computer unless the psu and the hdd.
I only start playing this summer because I didnt have time before and its there that I had some freezes.

I have my old Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512Mb.
I could try switching it but it may takes time before my computer freeze again.. some times it takes a week or two..

I have a question.. How do we stress a psu?

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
To Stress your PSU try running Prime95 or OCCT as well as Furmark. That should put your CPU and GPU to 100% and pull as much power as possible.

I thought your issue was much more frequent. How often do you game and how long on average?

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I did some OCCT test here are my results:

cpu test for 1h.. no error /cpu temp 35-57
gpu test for 1h.. no error /gpu temp 45-87
ps test for 1h.. it freeze after 30 min

So I really conclude that its my psu that is weak.
I'll buy a new one.
Thanks everyone