What physx card for a CF 5770 rig

Hy everyone,

I've got one hd5770 1gb, and now I'm buying another one for CF. But, I would like to add a cheap nVidia card for Physx. Which is the cheapest (used) card that would be sufficient for smooth gameplay? I was thinking about 9600gt, would it be enough.

What kind of a PSU would I need for the rig? I'm running a Phenom II X4 B20 (unlocked X3 x720), and it's mildly overclocked (to 3.GHz) at 1.35V. Would Chieftec CFT-650-14CS do?

All suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about what physx card 5770
  1. mmilan said:
    Hy everyone,

    I've got one hd5770 1gb, and now I'm buying another one for CF. But, I would like to add a cheap nVidia card for Physx. Which is the cheapest (used) card that would be sufficient for smooth gameplay? I was thinking about 9600gt, would it be enough.

    What kind of a PSU would I need for the rig? I'm running a Phenom II X4 B20 (unlocked X3 x720), and it's mildly overclocked (to 3.GHz) at 1.35V. Would Chieftec CFT-650-14CS do?

    All suggestions are welcome :)

    Thanks!



    Get a cheap 8x00 or 9x00 series card. I recommend a 8800GS/9600 GSO, 9500GT, 8600GT, GT220, or at the maximum, a 9600GT. There is no need to get anything more powerful than a 9600GT since there won't be much difference.

    I suggest a 9500GT or GT220 since those are plentiful and you can get them much cheaper than 9600GTs. (I've seen them around $30-$50 or so)

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-8.html



    You'll need windows 7 to run two drivers, and also need cracked Nvidia drivers to run it simultaneously with ATI drivers.
  2. Right.
    Windows 7 - check
    Cracked nV drivers - heard of something like that
    PSU ?

    Any difference with graphics card memory? Would it be better if I used 9600GT 1GB instead of 512MB (don't know if those exist, just to make my point)?

    Any difference in performance with a CF setup?
  3. I have a GT240 it works great. It gets up to about 70% usage at most in either Batman AA or Cryostasis, most other games (Metro 2033, Mirror's Edge, Dark Void) I haven't seen higher than about 20 or 25% usage. It's also on a 4x slot. I think you could get away with a GT220 but maybe not, at least not if it's only on a 4x slot need at least an 8x lane I'd think. The 9600 GT is approximately a GT 240 equivalent so that should be fine.
  4. I have msi 790FX-GD70, which has four 8x pci express slots.
  5. 1. Cracked Nv drivers - recent Nvidia driver updates do not allow you to use ATI cards and Nvidia cards together. You'll need to use cracked or old drivers.

    2. What is your PSU? Two 5770s + 1 dedicated physX, I'm thinking you'll need a quality 600-650watt PSU to run it.

    3. 9600GT 512mb or 1GB will both work fine. VRAM matters if it's rendering graphics with higher resolution or AA.

    4. You'll only notice some difference in physX games (namely increased fps and a few more features).
  6. Bluescreendeath said:
    1. Cracked Nv drivers - recent Nvidia driver updates do not allow you to use ATI cards and Nvidia cards together. You'll need to use cracked or old drivers.

    What about the 257.15 beta driver? Has anyone tried it yet?
  7. As I said, chieftec cft-650, 52A at 12V rails.
    I read about physx support with ati cards in those beta drivers, a friend of mine has succeded in making 5850 and 9800gt work together, so I will ask him for help.

    So, I don't need 1GB version?
  8. You don't need the 1GB version. If there isn't a price difference, say $5 or less, then get the 1GB version.
  9. Mousemonkey said:
    What about the 257.15 beta driver? Has anyone tried it yet?


    I've tried those twice now, once downloading from Nvidia site and again from Guru3D and neither time worked. The PhysX option in the Nvidia control panel just isn't there.

    The way I did it was pretty easy just follow this guide:
    http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=174041
  10. wolfram23 said:
    I've tried those twice now, once downloading from Nvidia site and again from Guru3D and neither time worked. The PhysX option in the Nvidia control panel just isn't there.

    The way I did it was pretty easy just follow this guide:
    http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=174041

    That's not good, I wonder where they got their ones from then?
  11. Look for something that doesn't need any external power connector and is short. It may be difficult to find one used but GT 240's work perfectly for this.
  12. Newegg has been having great prices on the gt 240, they rotate the sale's. If you live in the US. Here is one for 63.00 with 10.00 rebate for 53.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261061&cm_re=GT_240-_-14-261-061-_-Product
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Physx Nvidia Graphics Product