Sign in with
Your question

Help with freezing/slowdown problems please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2010 11:40:54 PM

Hello, I've been randomly having my mouse stop moving, but my keyboard works fine. When this happens, my CPU usage goes up to about 23-25% ish, so basically 1 core is on very high load. (I have a quad core CPU)

There's no warning and it's very random and inconsistent to when it happens. Sometimes it happens at the Windows XP log in screen, when surfing the internet, or when playing a game. The only way out is to restart.

This other problem may or not be related/the same thing, but my computer has been freezing often recently while I'm playing games or listening to music. It will slow to an unbearable crawl before freezing completely, with an endlessly looping sound of whatever was playing when the freeze happened. There's no BSoD or error message. Here the only way out is a hard restart, since nothing responds vs just the keyboard in the first situation.

Any help would be very much appreciated! I've tried virus/spyware scanning, reinstalling the mouse driver, downloading a hard drive monitor, but it seems fine. Temperatures are normal for everything as well. I was thinking that my hard drive is bad.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 12:01:19 AM

Have you tried a scan with Malwarebytes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 12:02:28 AM

It could be hardware related but it kinda sounds like malware or a virus.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 12:07:56 AM

I have tried quick scanning with Malware Bytes with no threats found but I'll try a full scan now..
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 12:15:43 AM

Post your system configuration.
Have you defragged the HDD lately?
Also have you looked to see what process is using the core in task manager?
Also you might try to run HDtune, check the smart, and run the tests to see if it is the HDD.
m
l
October 11, 2010 12:29:37 AM

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE @ stock w/ stock cooler
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 @ stock
4GB Corsair RAM
640 GB Western Digital Black Caviar HDD
Windows XP 32bit

I have defragged the HDD recently, and I still have problems.

In task manager, it's usually just System Idle Process that's using the CPU.

And I'll come back when I have the tests done.
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:45:23 AM

So the full scan turned up one infection, here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4792

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

10/10/2010 5:55:58 PM
mbam-log-2010-10-10 (17-55-58).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 261076
Time elapsed: 45 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\WeFiBar\tbWeFi.dll (Adware.NetPumper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

and HDtune's error test didn't detect anything wrong with the HDD. Came back to the computer after a few hours and it hasn't frozen on me yet... if my problems were due to the malware I just removed I'll be very happy.

but if not, you'll hear from me again. >.>
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 4:46:15 PM

Let us know how it goes.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:39:03 PM

Today I got another freeze at the log in screen. :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 9:47:50 PM

This is the standard checklist I usually post for diagnosing hardware issues. It applies specifically for boot issues so not all will points will be relevant to you but the basics should still apply.

This is a good guide on boot issues. Check everything on this list one at a time and double-check everything is connected correctly. Post back here when you're done and we'll go from there.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-read-post...

It could also be a memory issue.To test faulty RAM try using only one stick at a time and try each stick in each and every slot on the motherboard. This will rule out either bad memory or a faulty motherboard. Failing that, try removing all non-essential components and replacing each one by one to locate the faulty component. This includes everything except your motherboard, CPU and RAM.

If you've been through everything on this list and still have no luck then you're down to your motherboard, CPU and PSU. These can only really be tested by substitution - just swap each part one at a time until you find out which one is faulty. Hope this helps and post back to let us know how you get on.

Basically, it's elimination of possible factors until you find the faulty component.
m
l
!