June 3, 2011 2:45:11 PM

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
RAM: Kingston hyperx BLU - model: KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX

RAM specs:

4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
(2 x 2GB) Intel XMP
HyperX = DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 1.65V
Default = DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9 1.5V

I have been running with the memory settings at "auto" (auto meaning it was at 1.5v and the default timings by asus mobo) and have had around 6 or 7 random black screen freezes, sound loops or screeches from speakers in two months of usage. The freezes require hard restart.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy some new ram that is specified to run at 1.5v due to the nature of sandy bridge?

I ran memtest for 5 successful, no error passes with this ram set to "auto" in bios.

This www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-me..." target="_blank">article [/url ]included:
It's worth noting, especially if you use older DDR3 memory, that you need to keep the VCCIO/VCCSA and memory voltage within 0.5V of each other. This follows on from the same rule set by Nehalem and Lynnfield, but given that the whole Sandy Bridge die is now 32nm and operates at a lower ~1.15V voltage, mixing this with older 1.65V+ DIMMs puts it on the fringes of acceptable long-term reliability.

More about : 65v ram lga 1155

June 3, 2011 3:12:37 PM

Let me ask you this -- when you run the memory at 1.65 volts, does it work alright? When you set the memory speed to "auto," the motherboard does not automatically ups the DRAM voltage. You have to do that on your own.
m
l
June 3, 2011 3:41:54 PM

fullofzen said:
Let me ask you this -- when you run the memory at 1.65 volts, does it work alright? When you set the memory speed to "auto," the motherboard does not automatically ups the DRAM voltage. You have to do that on your own.

A few nights ago I ran it at 9-9-9-27 with 1.65v by manually setting the time and voltage - with this I didn't notice any difference, but was not on long enough to see a freeze - that usually takes a while of use.

I did however load optimized defaults, reset and then set the ai overclock crap to "X.M.P." this in effect set it to its advertised settings/voltage of 9-9-9-27 and 1.65v. When using this setting I noticed lag in game with objects and what not. Maybe I needed to do a few more restarts after the initial restart? I don't know.

Temps were fine after both instances, the mobo manual said using 1.65 could damage the CPU, how would u know if u damaged the cpu? any other settings that need to be modified to help protect the cpu when modifying timings and volts?
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2011 4:39:38 PM

mthomas99 said:
A few nights ago I ran it at 9-9-9-27 with 1.65v by manually setting the time and voltage - with this I didn't notice any difference, but was not on long enough to see a freeze - that usually takes a while of use.

I did however load optimized defaults, reset and then set the ai overclock crap to "X.M.P." this in effect set it to its advertised settings/voltage of 9-9-9-27 and 1.65v. When using this setting I noticed lag in game with objects and what not. Maybe I needed to do a few more restarts after the initial restart? I don't know.

Temps were fine after both instances, the mobo manual said using 1.65 could damage the CPU, how would u know if u damaged the cpu? any other settings that need to be modified to help protect the cpu when modifying timings and volts?

I don't trust that XMP is setting the DRAM voltage to 1.65. I would set it manually and then run it until you're satisfied that you're not going to see a freeze.

You don't need to do any restarts; one will do the job.

Indeed, Intel does not recommend anything higher than 1.5v+5% (1.575v) so using 1.65 on a sustained basis is not a good idea. However, I recommend you do it on a short-term basis to determine if your memory is bad and you need to RMA.
m
l
June 3, 2011 5:52:29 PM

Is it possible to have damaged the CPU running at 1.65 for 10 minutes?
m
l
June 3, 2011 6:02:50 PM

mthomas99 said:
Is it possible to have damaged the CPU running at 1.65 for 10 minutes?

I don't work for Intel, but I find that to be very unlikely.
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:01:18 PM

How did you get your system to run stable? what values should I change in bios to get this p8p67 le stable?

It froze twice last night while in one particular game at the same spot. Had to lower settings to get out of there. The first freeze came sound loop happened. I hard restarted, got back into it, and it froze again within a matter of seconds. It was a graphic intensive point. Maybe not enough ram voltage?

Also, Earlier in the day in a different area it also had the screen flicker and come back with significantly lower fps. I am assuming the video card overheated and came back after recovering. That's the first time that happened.

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 27, 2011 5:24:12 PM

I'm not as girly about 1.65v RAM + SB, but no doubt I recommend 1.5v Rated speeds DDR3 for Sandy Bridge. I'm fine with XMP with 1.65v as long as you're not OC the CPU, otherwise set it ALL manually.

If you either set the RAM via XMP or Manually 1600 9-9-9-27-2N 1.65V then if needed set the VCCIO to 1.2v should fix any issues. Otherwise your RAM is BAD, and if at SPD i.e. Load Defaults it's BSOD/Black Screen/Failing the RAM is BAD!

Q - Is the RAM in the correct DIMM slots? A kit of 2 must use the same colored DIMM Slots, if those fail then try the 'other' 2 DIMM slots -- IF that corrects the problem then you've got a BAD MOBO.

RANT: I'm TIRED of arguing about 1.65v + SB. The folks who want 1866~2133 MHz RAM + SB KNOW the guessed long-term risks and have no options but 1.6~1.65v. My arguments would be using a K with ANY vCore above spec and especially 1.4+v vCore. The DDR3 1.65v over the 1.57~1.58v 1000% safe <OR> vCore 1.4v which do you think is going to kill the CPU first -- duh the 1.4v vCore! Otherwise go play with your legos!
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:28:22 PM

I ran memtest for 5 passes w/ no errors. The modules are in the same colored slots.

what is VCCIO? I am not overclocking.

I use i5 2400 - so not overclocking - not the "k" version.
Also 2 x 2GB of kingston hyperx blu able to run at 1600 1.65 via Kingston specs.

So bump the voltage up to like 1.58250? or soemthing crazy?
Manually set timings to what Manufacturer states?

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 27, 2011 6:35:17 PM

mthomas99 said:
I have been running with the memory settings at "auto" (auto meaning it was at 1.5v and the default timings by asus mobo) and have had around 6 or 7 random black screen freezes, sound loops or screeches from speakers in two months of usage. The freezes require hard restart.

I ran memtest for 5 passes w/ no errors. The modules are in the same colored slots.

Again first part, this screams either a BAD DIMM slot = BAD MOBO, incorrect DDR3 seating into DIMM Slot, incorrect DIMM slots being used by DDR3, or BAD RAM - period.

Q - RE: "I ran memtest for 5 passes w/ no errors" What changes did you make?

If none then read what I already posted. If no problems then leave it be.

VCCIO is the the CPU's IMC controller voltage, and in some cases raising it slightly to close the gap on the IMC and DRAM voltage is necessary with 1.65v DDR3; this all depends on how your BIOS adjusts Auto in comparison to the DRAM Voltage. Setting it Manually takes the BIOS 'guessing' out of the picture i.e. 1 less problem variable.

ref - http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1K2_4GX....

You have (2) choices that I can see without you posting the 'SPD' screenshot from CPU-z:
1600 MHz 9-9-9-27-2N at 1.65V
1333 MHz 9-9-9-27-2N at 1.50V
Either will work.

For 1600 MHz per RAM specs:
1. Use Blue DIMM slots only; failure per above try Black
2. BIOS:
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600 MHz
DRAM Timing Control /Enter {the values sound appear in order except the 'Timing Mode' aka Command Rate}
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 27 aka tRAS
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N

DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v {or 1.65v if available in menu}
VCCIO Voltage -> 1.20v

Save and Exit = Yes
3. Verify RAM is both stable and error free; Detect errors use Memtest86+ and create a bootbale CD/DVD from the ISO/zip file -> http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:09:57 AM

I ran 5 passes without error at default settings. The default settings were "Auto"
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 28, 2011 2:14:29 AM

If you're okay with Default then you're done! :)  Otherwise bookmark theses settings.
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:51:49 AM

even though it passed mem test I still got that freeze with sound loop last night. The 5 passes were weeks ago - nothing changed since then it had just been weeks since the two freezes I had last night.

I just changed the timing all to 9 9 9 27 (they were there at default). I couldn't find "Timing Mode 1N", but I did see a DRAM Command Mode = 1 and I set that to 2. Once I did that it hung so I had to reset CMOS. I did the Timing mode 2N when I was at 1333hz on the memory. I wanted to manually set the ram to 1333hz with 1.5v 9 9 9 27 2N -- I am assuming the 2n with those timings and volts failed.

I am affraid to run this thin gat 1.65 v on the ram - 24/7/365 as the manual says it does not recommend volts over 1.65 or 1.65 and higher. It specifically says it recommends volts less than 1.65 - it doesn't say less than or equal too - which freaks me out about having it at 1.65.

Should I just set it at 1333hz 9 9 9 27 with 1 command timing and up the voltage to liek 1.5800?

Really scared of this motherboard I hate those freezes and ***. wonder if it isn't my graphics card being over loaded or over heating? I can't stop in the middle of the freeze to check the temp of the graphics card. :( 
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 28, 2011 4:00:09 AM

If Memtest is okay then I'd start looking at Windows.
A. Run MSCONFIG -> Select Diagnostic and see if the problems go away
{Test}

B. Normal but:
1. Services [x] Hide all MS... and deselect anything else listed in that tab
2. Startup tab disable all.
{Test}

If either A or B work, and Normal Startup fails then it's a problem in Windows, probably a conflict.

Also, IF you're running ANY BIOS/EFI invasive utility like AI Suite II uninstall it there the root to many problems.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:10:04 PM

What is the command timing? is that the timing mode that should be at 2n?

If i want to run at 1333 hz what do i need to have ? 1.5v 9 9 9 27 and 2N or 1N?

I'll try the other stuff tonight.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 28, 2011 3:25:56 PM

Most all 1600 MHz RAM is as stated 2N aka 2T. Command Rate is the "Delay between chip select and command" 1=1 nanosecond, 2 is 2 nanoseconds. 1N is faster but might cause an error(s) an 2N is slower but causes less errors and is more stable as the Frequencies increase. You can 'try' 1N but run Memtest for another 2-4 passes before assuming it's okay.
m
l
June 28, 2011 11:32:04 PM

It is auto set at command timing = 1.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 28, 2011 11:36:00 PM

Doesn't mean Auto is correct!
m
l
!