1000watt PSU enough for x3 GTX 480?

saif1994

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hey,

I'm wondering if a 1000watt PSU will be able to handle 3 GTX 480s (on max load).
Right now I only have one.

Also, will I be able to SLI other 400 series cards such as the GTX 465 with the GTX 480?

System Specs:
- EVGA Classified x58
- I7 980x
- 500gb WD RE3 HD
- G.Skill Tridents 6gb 2000mhz
- 1000watt Coolermaster Silent Pro
- GTX 480
I don't want upgrade my PSU for a while but i do want an increase in graphic performance.

Which Combo would give me the highest 3D Mark Vantage score while still keeping the same PSU?:

1000 Watt PSU
GTX 480
GTX 480
GTX 480

1000 Watt PSU
GTX 480
GTX 470
GTX 470

1000 Watt PSU
GTX 480
GTX 465
GTX 465

Or Dual SLI

1000 Watt PSU
GTX 480
GTX 480

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
480s scale like champs, especially so in dual-sli. Above that the return on investment drops, but for green (as in new) top tier GPUs, the scaling efficiency is more than just impressive. You shouldn't be disappointed :D

saif1994

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

Its definitely reassuring to hear that two GTX 480s is not a disappointment.

On a website called Mod Rigs, this dude has a 3D vantage score of 53k. Makes my 22k look pathetic :p

So I made it my goal to get a score of at least 30k.

Is that do-able with x2 GTX 480s? and is my goal even reasonable?

I'm new to the benchmark world so I really don't know.

What's surprising is how Crossfire scales so poorly sometimes...

SLi gets 80% scaling in Crysis @ 1080p, wheres crossfire gets maybe 60-70%?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

384bit versus 256bit bus width at the top tier (480v5870) could have an effect at the high end while cheaper GPUs (like 5770s) with far lower total throughput pull incredible scaling %s even though only utilizing 128bit memory interface. I'd be interested to see how 5830s scale in crossfire once the drivers are sorted out, if the memory interface is a limiting factor for 5870s, then 5830s should perform quite brilliant in that regard.

The title is important to consider as well, using only crysis is not really giving the whole picture. Since crossfire requires CPU resources, titles that are more CPU dependent will have lowering scaling performance when directly compared to GPU bound titles.

notty22

Distinguished
I was checking out bios/drivers at the Gigabyte web site yesterday and saw this post about a new Vantage record using 4 gigabyte GTX 480's in SLI
hello.gif
LOL
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=902
edit: The whole gigabyte site is down right now, sorry :(

saif1994

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Ok, so I cant run anything more then 2 way SLI with the PSU that I have.

What If I bought an external PSU, dedicated for the 3rd graphics card?

How many watt's would it have to be?

Im hoping this piece right here for 20 bucks will be sufficient :)

Neomis

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

Ok just to clear things up, you can go 3-way sli with a good 1000w psu, you will hit about 1,100-1180 watts full load with 3G gtx 480's but you will not get the 80+ efficiency rating from your psu, to not put so much stress on your psu get a visiontek 450w psu(can fit in the drive bay. I can also tell you with 2x gtx 480's with an i7 980x at 4.156ghz you can reAch a score of 38,000(sc edition gtx 480's) if you have stock gtx 480 you get about 600 less a score, I just hot my third gtx 480 and I get 48,400, when I overclock a little more I get 50k

Neomis

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Sorry I'm typing on an iPhone also if you need proof look on you tube for linustech tips video, he had 2 gtx 480's on a 750 watt psu and it was fine, most so 3 gtx will be ok on 1000w, most people don't realize that power supplies are rated at a certain efficiency but will push more wattage for instance an antec oc edition 1200w psu will push 1750 watts, my 1500 silverstone psu pushes way more then my breakers could ever handle, I don't remember which psu you said you have(hard to view this on an iPhone) but look for it on johnnygurus website, see how it's rated, you mostly need the total amps, I'm sure your psu will be fine, If your pc shuts down which I highly doubt then get a drive bay psu over 300watts

Neomis

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

I guess you didn't understand the post or maybe didn't read the second that went with it. Go to johnnygurus site, see what the peak wattage is on that psu, if it's around 1250 your ok, you lose the 80% efficiency rating after 1000w is all(if you don't know what that means it's ok to ask) now if it wasn't enough the worst would happen is the overvolt would kick in and the psu will shut down preventing damage like it's supposed to, but if he'sreally worried buy the $150 drive bay psu and be done with it, unless you want to get a whole new psu... Also I do know the visiontek is found cheaper at times and it has enough watts and Amps to run a card all day long.

Yeah maybe you should go to the site and read the review before posting eh?

When the PSU is using 80A on the +12V rail the 12V becomes 11.50V thats 80*12 =960W, so under 1000W which it should be able to provide.

"Another thing this table tells us is that the unit is not independently regulated, like most units this size. It's using a cheaper group regulated design. How do I know this? I'm psychic. But seriously, take a look up there at the voltage readings for tests CL1 and CL2, the crossload tests. See the 12V and 5V numbers? How they are almost out of spec on the 12V side and out of spec on the 5V side? That's group regulation there, guys. That's the OEM saving some money by making two rails share one filter coil on the secondary. I'll show you on page four."

I know what efficiency is, and maybe the OP whats to keep the efficiency of his PSU above 80%?

Neomis

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
First off I can do this all day long, I suggested he look it up on that site to check specs and each card doesn't use the 42amps as listed, did you see the 750w psu that handled 2gtx 480's? The specs are similar scaled to his with a increase on his side,Then add another 250 watts and hey we have 1000 watts, now wattage aside, this can run it but will not meet efficiency as I said That's why I listed that as "reference"also you can troll all you want but it won't work with me, I listed some good ADVICE, and you shot back with immediate sarcasm, get a life. This thread isn't supposed to be full of this bs, it's annoying the net is full of you guys. I will not be responding unless someone wants direct info or wants to keep this productive, I don't contribute to trolls. (now is where you post your finishing troll statement and i ignore you thus trolling production is halted)

why not full of guys like you who give bad advice, the Cooler Master really isn't a good PSU (especially in comparison to the HX1000 or any from antec, seasonic, PC P&C, OCZ)

Vadorsystems

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
For Three GTX 480's Its the most advisable thing to get a 1200W psu, with Neomis.. a Solid 1000W psu will handle it but not too well and in high end gaming it could cause some bad errors like Redscreening o_O thats fun when all it shows is red ... but really a Corsair 1000W or a Thermaltake 1000W could possibly handle it, but jesus get a 1200W they dont even cost that much xD

Neomis

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
1 each comment of his stRted with sarcasm which still made no sense, everyone is at there own free will to do what they want, the psi will work, it will run hot on full load, it will shutdown if needed, also as I Said in the FIRST POST I gave info to where to look all this up, and someone is telling me to look it up before I post(omgitzfatal)that's the advice I gave lol, I'm pointing the poster to the right direction and nothing I said was bad advice, anyone who backs the troll up is either a troll themselves or didn't read the post properly, again the psu will work, it will run hot, I also said get the visiontek psu and be done with it.

GET A CLUE PEOPLE!!

This thread has been removed from my subscription list, have fun trolling (really it shows your IQ) amongst your self.

And to the poster, just make sure you find the answers yourself,(lots of clueless trolls will steer you the wrong way) the site I listed is a good one for info in psu's. I helped Johnny do a few of his first psu tests years ago. I'm still on an iPhone and away from my home pc for a few days, that's why I listed in my original posts I am not sure what psu you have(it takes forever to scroll these pages and load on 3g)so checkout the website and some nub tells me to do that(he needs to look up the definition of advice)

"no such thing As bad advice, just bad decisions"

Bye now

actually what looks really good is the Corsair AX1200 coming out

Remind me again why you need three GTX 480s?

Did they come out with Crysis 6 while I was gone, or are you just bent on having $1,000 worth of overkill?

Lol, I'm the troll? Your the one giving bad advice and calling other forum members a "nub" and a "troll"

Say the OP runs 3 x GTX480's on his CM 1000W PSU, it overheats (A likely scenario) and then shuts down his PC, You really think the OP whats that? .... Doesn't sound like fun to me. :kaola: