Sign in with
Your question

Help with X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty issue

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 11, 2010 2:56:27 AM

So I am at my wits end with my current sound card issue.

Backstory:
For my birthday my wife is getting me the new Sennheiser PC 360 headset as a replacement for the broken plantronics set I currently use for gaming (what was supposed to be a quick replacement for my Steelseries 5Hv2's has somehow been my main set for a good part of the year, let's just say the the mic is currently being held in place with tape). Needless to say I was looking forward to the step up in fidelity and so in preparation I updated the drivers on my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card.

What you really need to know:

After the initial installation the sound stopped working and the creative volume logo in the system tray disappeared. The windows audio logo showed only my onboard audio card (in my case Realtech high definition audio) while hovering over and while the X-fi was listed under playback in the windows sound menu there was no volume notches on the right similar to the onboard listing. The Audio dial in the creative software wass also greyed out and stuck at 51%. I did get audio when I switch to my onboard inputs on the back and tested both the mic and headset to make sure they work. Curiously I was able to get mic audio when I unmuted the mic in the playback settings of the creative software, proof the card itself is working (it also lights up while the system is on).

Now might be as good a time as ever to mention I'm running Windows Vista x32.

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled every piece of creative software on my system including reinstalling on a clean boot and using driver sweeper to try and get any trace of creative off of my system before reinstallation (which didn't work so well as trying to install an older driver caused the "newer driver detected on your system" error). I have also tried a moving the card from my PCIE x1 slot to my one free PCIE x16 slot with no change. I have run creative diagnostics and the card fails the direct sound test as well as SPDIF and speakers mixer setting check.

So what do I do? I have lost the initial CD that came with the sound card so I am stuck to a download only solution. I really would like to hear my decent new headset through something better than onboard audio (I understand the titanium isn't the best card but it has to be better than that!)

Please please please (and one final desperate) please any help would be phenomenally appreciated.

More about : titanium fatal1ty issue

October 11, 2010 12:06:21 PM

Use driver cleaner and kill everything related to Creative. Then try using either the PAX or Daniel_K driver packs.
m
l
October 12, 2010 4:49:44 PM

get rid of this stupid sound card man, i have the same faltality champion but i have problem with windows auto sleep.
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2010 2:55:26 AM

Ya, so I've tried everything. Nothing is working. The headset sounds really good on my on board audio, a little quiet but the best I've ever heard, which means I need a new soundcard to make them even better.

I'm thinking the Asus Xonar Essence STX which is specifically made for high quality headphones. Not really sad about the creative card other than the money it cost. Still had some motherboard sound (despite the shielding) and this wasn't the first time they gave me a major headache in the software department.

Figure the Essense STX is a great sounding card with shielding and a separate input to eliminate motherboard sound as well as a built in headphone amp to help with the lack of volume with my headset.

Thanks for everyone who helped me with this issue.
m
l
October 21, 2010 4:49:58 AM

Turns out it was actually a windows issue. Going to ditch vista for a fresh install of Windows 7. A big pain in the bottom.
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:21:22 AM

I was about to say that too. Well anyway you can also update your Windows Vista 32 service pack but my problems gone when I install Windows 7 everything works. This creative card has a known problems with MSI mobo.
m
l
!