Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Secondary Display on HD 4200 will not come up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2010 9:29:36 PM

I have a fellow employee that bought a new hp 6510f with a HD 4200 onboard card. He also bought 2 19" Coby HDTV's to use as monitors. I have one of them plugged into the VGA port and the other has a dvi to hdmi cable i bought on amazon. However that connection will not recognize the tv at all. The computer will not recognize it. I have tried switching monitors, searched the bios, force detection from catalyst control center, updated drivers for video card, and unplugged the vga cable all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : secondary display 4200

June 28, 2010 10:32:00 PM

I believe if you have a discrete video card installed that is not Hybrid CrossFire compatible the motherboard disables the on-board video. That is what it does on my 890GX motherboard with a Radeon 4850 in the top PCIe slot.
m
l
June 29, 2010 1:35:25 AM

What video connections does the PC have (VGA, HDMI, DVI)? I assume you connected TV/monitor #1 via VGA to VGA and TV/monitor #2 via DVI (on the PC) to HDMI (on the TV). Is that correct? Does the PC have a HDMI connection?
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2010 2:56:38 PM

The pc only has a vga and dvi-d connection. And you are correct, one is vga to vga and the other is dvi on the pc and hdmi on the tv. no hdmi connection on the pc.
m
l
June 29, 2010 2:59:05 PM

Does the dvi to hdmi connection work if it is the only one attached to the PC? Do you have a DVI to VGA adapter? If so, you could connect to the second TV/monitor with a VGA to VGA connection.
m
l
June 29, 2010 3:00:15 PM

I should have added this....the TV/monitor simply may not be compatible with the cable you are using and may be the source of your problem.
m
l
June 29, 2010 3:12:11 PM

the dvi connection didnt work when i unplugged the vga cable from the computer or after a restart. The original goal was to use a dvi to vga converter, but the dvi port is a dvi-d and the dvi converter i have doesnt fit the port on the computer. and as for the tv not being compatible, that would explain a lot, but i dont understand how that could be.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:00:28 PM

Odd. If you can find an ATI DVI to VGA adapter, it should do the trick. The DVI connection should be a standard ATI DVI config (given the on-board HD4200).

Do you have access to a "regular" monitor with a DVI cable that you could verify that the port on the PC actually works?
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:02:19 PM

BTW, where are you located? I can send you an adapter (gratis) if you are in the US. No strings attached. Private Message me the details.
m
l
June 29, 2010 5:39:50 PM

While I appreciate the offer for the adapter, I dont believe its will be any different than the one I already have. The port on the computer is straight dvi-d which is a pure digital signal from what I understand and it can't be simply converted to the analog vga, so they made the ports different from the dvi-i to prevent confusion. hxxp://www.logicsupply.com/images/dvi_connector_types.gif as reference. The four smaller pin slots next to the horizontal connector aren't there. I also do have access to another monitor with a dvi port on it, it is the company's and I am not currently at a location where i can easily retrieve it.
m
l
June 29, 2010 5:55:27 PM

There are several DVI-D to VGA connectors available for as little as $5US available that should work. The specs for the HD4200 that I am reading at ATI.com imply such an adapter will work because the logic to do the conversion is built into the GPU chipset. You have nothing to lose in checking it out.
m
l
June 29, 2010 6:01:08 PM

COLGeek said:
There are several DVI-D to VGA connectors available for as little as $5US available that should work. The specs for the HD4200 that I am reading at ATI.com imply such an adapter will work because the logic to do the conversion is built into the GPU chipset. You have nothing to lose in checking it out.

you can't use a DVI-D to VGS connector, it needs to be DVI-I or DVI-A (s you need the analog part of dvi for the connector)

this should be working fine, you can try to force a tv on the second connection in the ATI catalyst control center
m
l
June 29, 2010 6:18:31 PM

And how would I go about doing that? Whenever I got into CCC and went to detect displays the monitor the monitor connected on the vga cable freakes out gets distortion of the image, and then the speakers screech loudly and I have to unplug the tv to get it into a semblance of order.
m
l
June 29, 2010 6:20:32 PM

I disagree with mindless728 on this one. The HD4200 chipset clearly contains the logic to do the conversion to analog required. In this situation a simple check with the appropriate adapter will solve the question.

The issue of the DVI/HDMI cable not working implies that either the cable is defective or that the TV/monitor may not be configured to see the HDMI port properly.

Verifying the the PC's DVI-D port works at all would also be a good idea by connecting to another display.

Definitely interested in the outcome here. "Virtual beers" to whoever is right!

m
l
June 29, 2010 6:51:39 PM

is there any way you could send me a link to the information that you were looking at on amd's website. I cant seem to find anything other than a general overview for the chipset.
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:00:43 PM

Here you. This is the product brief for the chipset/GPU.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/48244A_Athlon_II_785E_A...

Not a definitive answer, as I said earlier, rather an implication. Also why would HP sell a system that can't talk to all sorts of consumer grade monitors.

Still, this is an entertaining issue to be resolved. I really hope you resolve.
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:07:22 PM

COLGeek said:
I disagree with mindless728 on this one. The HD4200 chipset clearly contains the logic to do the conversion to analog required. In this situation a simple check with the appropriate adapter will solve the question.

yes it has the logic to do it, but the physical port (DVI-D) doesn't have the pins required for a DVI to VGA connector
DVI on wikipedia, look at the picture of pins for DVI-D and see what is missing (hint, C1, C2, C3, C4 for the Analog Red, Green, Blue, Horiz Sync respectively)

COLGeek said:
Verifying the the PC's DVI-D port works at all would also be a good idea by connecting to another display.

definitely a good idea to see if the port even works

COLGeek said:
Definitely interested in the outcome here. "Virtual beers" to whoever is right!

mmmm beer......
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:22:20 PM

mindless728 may indeed be right. I concur that the connector on the 6510F may not do the trick without an expensive digital to analog converter. It would be cheaper to just go with a standard monitor.

Still, it would not explain why the DVI-D to HDMI cable didn't work.

I definitely see the connection to how consumer grade monitors with DVI-I cables work with the DVI-D connector on the HP in question as a result of the wikipedia article.

Learning is cool.....
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:28:25 PM

yeah, id doesn't explain the dvi to hdmi not working (as thats what i am doing for my HTPC)

if you have a monitor with dvi input try that with a dvi cable and see if it works with the dvi port, if yes, replace the dvi to hdmi cable, if no, might have to RMA the motherboard

@COLGeek, discrete cards come with DVI-I ports and usually the cables given are DVI-D (as there is no need for a DVI-I cable) and the ports on the monitor are also usually DVI-D. And on laptops you have to be careful with HDMI or DVI ports as they might not be wired for a dual link connection (ie no 2560x1600 external display)
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:34:24 PM

There are many products on the market that are listed as "DVI-D to VGA adapters". Scanning multiple reviews imply that these adapters will work with modern LCD monitors (the Coby TVs in question?), but not the old CRTs.

I have a system at home that I am 95% positive has DVI-D connectors (my video rendering machine has a FireGL GPU) that I plan to experiment with.

Will report the results back later tonight.
m
l
June 29, 2010 7:35:33 PM

alright, i should be able to test another monitor tomorrow and update here on the results. Thank you both for your help thus far.
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:14:30 AM

Turns out that from my pile of 6 DVI adapters (3-VGA and 3-HDMI), I don't have a single one that is DVI-D to VGA. My 3 DVI to HDMI adapters will plug into my FireGL and drive a monitor just fine though. May pop into a local computer store tomorrow to grab a DVI-D to VGA to continue the learning experience. The "fun" never stops!
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:37:01 AM

well, you can't find a dvi-d to vga converter, the d in dvi-d stands for digital only (ie no analog signal), it will more than likely be a dvi-i connector
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:57:28 AM

While you are probably correct, there are many such advertised adapters that claim to be DVI-D to VGA. The virtual beer is yours, but I have to complete the experiment. HOOAH!!!
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:23:52 PM

Well I just got back from testing the display at the other office. Its definitely not the computer's fault. The monitor i was testing with came up immediately with no problems. So we are back to either the cable or the tv.
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:34:53 PM

I certainly don't mean to insult in any way, but you have verified both TVs work, yes?

Do you have a DVI to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable you can connect to the second TV?

If you hook up the second TV as the primary with the VGA cable, I assume it works, right?

The easiest problem to solve is the cable and whether it works or not. The next is to verify the TV works. The third would be to ditch the on-board GPU and go with a discrete GPU that does away with the need to connect to the DVI-D connector.

m
l
June 30, 2010 3:40:38 PM

Both tv's do work. i have switched the vga connection between the tv's and they both work the same way. I do not however have a dvi to hdmi adapter or another hdmi cable. They dvi to hdmi cable was all i ordered because when this person bought his setup, i expected him to buy monitors for his computer like any other sane being. However, this setup being relatively new and assuming he still has the box, I may end up recommending that he returns one of the tv's and buys a decent monitor with a dvi input.
m
l

Best solution

June 30, 2010 3:54:05 PM

Honestly, I would recommend he return both TVs and get monitor. If he wants a monitor that can also be a TV, Samsung has several that have built-in tuners. TVs really aren't meant to be monitors. They will work, but is not an optimal solution.

You must have the patience of a saint.
June 30, 2010 5:58:03 PM

Well, maybe not a saint, but it helps that I am the only IT guy for 5 offices scattered around the city. So people know that I can't always get to their problem the day they tell me about it.
m
l
June 30, 2010 5:59:18 PM

But I think I will tell him to replace at least one of the monitors, hopefully both. Thank you for your input. And feel free to add anything if you think of it that could work, I wont be able to talk to him till tomorrow.
m
l
July 2, 2010 7:51:07 PM

Best answer selected by tinyt777.
m
l
!