Changing Ownership

David

My son gave me his old computer and I would like to change the Ownership name
from his to mine. Example: David's files, David's Computer, David's
Documents, etc. I assume if I reload the XP program that this will allow me
to enter my name as the owner but then I will loose all the programs that he
had loaded. Can I change Ownership name without reloading XP?

See here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

--
HTH
Venkatesh
> My son gave me his old computer and I would like to change the Ownership
name
> from his to mine. Example: David's files, David's Computer, David's
> Documents, etc. I assume if I reload the XP program that this will allow
me
> to enter my name as the owner but then I will loose all the programs that
he
> had loaded. Can I change Ownership name without reloading XP?

David,

Create a new user account. See:

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:

OTOH, to change the Registered Owner name (reflected in System properties
and in some applications), try this:

Click Start, Run and type regedit, and then click OK. Navigate to the
following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Double-click RegisteredOrganization.
Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

Double-click RegisteredOwner.
Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
Click Exit on the File menu to quit regedit.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User