Changing Ownership

My son gave me his old computer and I would like to change the Ownership name
from his to mine. Example: David's files, David's Computer, David's
Documents, etc. I assume if I reload the XP program that this will allow me
to enter my name as the owner but then I will loose all the programs that he
had loaded. Can I change Ownership name without reloading XP?
2
answers
Last reply
More about changing ownership

    See here:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    --
    HTH
    Venkatesh
    > My son gave me his old computer and I would like to change the Ownership
    name
    > from his to mine. Example: David's files, David's Computer, David's
    > Documents, etc. I assume if I reload the XP program that this will allow
    me
    > to enter my name as the owner but then I will loose all the programs that
    he
    > had loaded. Can I change Ownership name without reloading XP?

    David,

    Create a new user account. See:

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:

    OTOH, to change the Registered Owner name (reflected in System properties
    and in some applications), try this:

    Click Start, Run and type regedit, and then click OK. Navigate to the
    following location:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

    Double-click RegisteredOrganization.
    Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

    Double-click RegisteredOwner.
    Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
    Click Exit on the File menu to quit regedit.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > My son gave me his old computer and I would like to change the Ownership
    > name
    > from his to mine. Example: David's files, David's Computer, David's
    > Documents, etc. I assume if I reload the XP program that this will allow
    > me
    > to enter my name as the owner but then I will loose all the programs that
    > he
    > had loaded. Can I change Ownership name without reloading XP?

Configuration Computers Windows XP