Changing Thermal Paste

xurbanx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
If i install my cpu and it's stock heat sink, will i be able to remove it and change the paste without a problem? I've never done it before so it would be good to know if i wish to upgrade my heat sink and paste quality later. IF there are any guides that go over how to do this or someone that can give a basic explanation that would be great.

Solution
Yes. When you do, wipe the old compound off with a soft applicator or cloth using alcohol. There are lots of guides to be found on how to apply the new. In short you want to spread a very thin coating of the new compound on the processor surface. Then attach the new cooler.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yes. When you do, wipe the old compound off with a soft applicator or cloth using alcohol. There are lots of guides to be found on how to apply the new. In short you want to spread a very thin coating of the new compound on the processor surface. Then attach the new cooler.

Solution

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Alcohol does a fine job, even the 70% variety. Generally others would recommend the 90%+ purity as it dries pretty fast and leaves no residue. The 70% variety though, you'd need to wait just a bit more (around a minute or so for it to completely dry out).

Just be sure there's no particles left, and don't touch it with your hands (as your hands typically have a very thin layer of oil).