August 5, 2010 2:29:30 AM

Ok so i just finished building my pc,

I have an,

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB mobo,
Phenom II X4 2.8,
4 gb Adata ram 1600 (2x2).
Cooler Master 750 Watt Power Supply
Cooler master heatsink

I'm trying to run my old hardrive with windows XP. It was from an old alienware and it is only SATA. I have been able to boot up with my cousins old IDE drive but it will not boot from my SATA drives. It will recognize them in BIOS but it will only show that it recognizes the IDE (disk drive) during boot up no matter what priority they are listed as. The windows screen will flash for just a moment showing no loading progress before it reboots. It gives me an option to pick 'safe mode', 'last known good configuration' or 'normal'. No matter what i select it gives me the same result. I really don't know where to go from here. any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
August 5, 2010 2:43:07 AM

New build, reinstall the OS from scratch. Your old installation of the OS contains all the drivers and configuration for a completely different system, of course it won't work. You can try and do a repair install, that can usually get you up and running, but it also has a tendency to leave you with a buggy OS. Save all your important stuff to a external drive, format, and start all over.
However, if you insist, and your are getting to the windows splash screen, try setting your SATA controller to Native or IDE mode. If you don't have the drivers installed for AHCI mode, Windows will simply crash at the splash screen. XP does not contain drivers for ACHI mode, you have to supply them during installation of the OS. You may get lucky and get Windows to work, but believe me, it will be buggy until you do a fresh install.
m
l
Related resources
!