Sign in with
Your question

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2010 5:04:49 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is the card I have purchased. No matter what kind of driver I install from the creative website, I get no results. It just says that "Setup is unable to find specified product on your computer, setup will now exit" or something along those lines.

The fix for this bug posted by creative...well...it gives me the EXACT SAME ERROR (ironically)

It shows up in device manager as "Multimedia Audio Controller" but will not automatically find drivers.

I've tried daniel_K's drivers but to no avail, (unsure of whether I've done it correctly or not) and spent around 2 hours googling possible fixes.

Anyone have any idea?

Would appreciate the help :) 

edit: forgot to post the obvious

Specs:

Windows 7 32bit
GTX 260
3.5g ram
2.66 ghz quad core
October 11, 2010 12:08:11 PM

...first, why go with the aged ExtremeGamer?

Kill everything related to Creative with Driver Cleaner, then try the PAX driver set and see if you have better luck...

I've seen this issue a LOT lately for Vista/7 users...Creative come out with new "stable" drivers recently or something?
m
l
October 11, 2010 1:40:24 PM

Did you disable the onboard audio chip in the BIOS.? Also, try installing the drivers using windows update..
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 7:28:49 PM

Have you tried a different PCI slot?
m
l
October 12, 2010 1:41:06 AM

I went with the card because i got it off of a member off of a forum for way less than retail and I didn't really need a sound card

I got it to work with a reinstall of the daniel_k drivers, only to later find I couldn't change it into "game-mode" because there was no "mode" tab. The default entertainment mode sounded weird in cs.

However now whenever I re-enable the sound (I went to onboard for a few competitive scrimmages) it has bad crackling behavior.

Edit: I believe I tried the PAX driver at first and could not get it to detect my sound card either.

m
l
October 12, 2010 12:16:13 PM

Quote:
However now whenever I re-enable the sound (I went to onboard for a few competitive scrimmages) it has bad crackling behavior.

Either related to the bad driver install, or thats the famous SCP issue.

The only thing I can recommend is to use Driver Sweeper to kill EVERYTHING that is related to Creative.
m
l
October 13, 2010 12:15:04 PM

^^ Don't pronounce the crackling dead, I know back when I had an ExtremeGamer, it was VERY random...

Again, give the Daniel_K or PAX drivers a try.
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:08:30 PM

Ya I cant find these PAX or Daniel_K drivers any where just a bunch of broken links and not executable files..... FML
m
l
May 3, 2011 11:53:47 AM

I know there is a direct link to the PAX drivers on the guru3d forum, and the Daniel_K driver set shouldn't be that hard to find...
m
l
!