Sign in with
Your question

No sound with hdmi card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2010 10:40:03 PM

Howdy alll,

Just bought an emachines et 1831-07 to use as a media center for my HDTV. I have a Asus en9500gt 1g hdmi video card an am having problems. I get great picture running through the HDMI cable but no sound. I have connected the SPDIF cable correctly I believe, but no go. I believe I have a SPDIF out on the MOBO, but it has three pins, and the end of the cable has 4 slots with onlt three usable, allowing mo to only connect to 2 pins at a time. Is that normal? Does my MOBO even have SPDIF out? Maybe I'm conecting to the wrong pins? I can't find any detailed info on my MOBO. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

More about : sound hdmi card

a c 218 U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 12:45:29 AM

If you have the SPDIF cable connected properly, you may need to tell Windows to use your HDMI sound vice the embedded audio (regular card card). Go into Control Panel/Sound and make sure you have the proper output device selected as default. Good luck!
m
l
June 29, 2010 12:50:20 AM

Have disabled onboard sound, and there is no option to select anything else.
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 1:08:51 AM

Does your system use an Nvidia chipset? What on-board audio does it use (re-enable and check your Device Manager settings)? You may not have the SPDIF cable connected properly, thus the problem.

If I have the right picture on newegg.com of your GPU, the white cable end connects to your mobo and the other end connects to your GPU.

Like you, I can't find any internal diagrams or manuals for the guts of your machine.
m
l
June 29, 2010 8:57:12 PM

COLGeek said:
Does your system use an Nvidia chipset? What on-board audio does it use (re-enable and check your Device Manager settings)? You may not have the SPDIF cable connected properly, thus the problem.

If I have the right picture on newegg.com of your GPU, the white cable end connects to your mobo and the other end connects to your GPU.

Like you, I can't find any internal diagrams or manuals for the guts of your machine.

Thanks, but the cord is way too short to allow the white part to get to the mobo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 9:02:48 PM

I'm fairly certain the HDMI audio on video cards is basically a throughput, and not an actual audio device. So you'll have to activate the onboard sound on your machine for it to work. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't use HDMI on my GPU. :)  Plus apparently get a longer connector it sounds like. :( 
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:18:53 PM

jerreece said:
I'm fairly certain the HDMI audio on video cards is basically a throughput, and not an actual audio device. So you'll have to activate the onboard sound on your machine for it to work. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't use HDMI on my GPU. :)  Plus apparently get a longer connector it sounds like. :( 

Thanks. I'll try again and see what happens. Just to be clear, is the spdif just three small pins sticking up near the audio ports are?
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 9:30:06 PM

Quite possibly. Usually, the mobos have labels near the connectors themselves to identify one connector from another. Not much difference between the CD-IN and SPDIF connectors. You need to take a close look on the mobo itself to make sure you don't connect to the wrong thing. I know this may be difficult on your emachines system, but they are likely to be located near other connectors that look very similar.

Are there any additional markings on the mobo that may be used to identify the OEM who made it? That would sure help. Something like Foxconn and then a model number, etc.

m
l
June 30, 2010 10:33:58 PM

COLGeek said:
Quite possibly. Usually, the mobos have labels near the connectors themselves to identify one connector from another. Not much difference between the CD-IN and SPDIF connectors. You need to take a close look on the mobo itself to make sure you don't connect to the wrong thing. I know this may be difficult on your emachines system, but they are likely to be located near other connectors that look very similar.

Are there any additional markings on the mobo that may be used to identify the OEM who made it? That would sure help. Something like Foxconn and then a model number, etc.

Finally found it. It is a MCP73VT-PM. I googled it and it took me to the emachines website. The specs claim it has a spdif out header, which I am assuming are th three pins. Was unable to download the mobo manual. I got an error message that says all downloads are suspended due to bandwidth issues. Also tried changing settings on the comp with no success. There is no option to enable/disable the spdif. Starting to get discouraged. Any ideas? By the way, I appreciate your time on this.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 10:48:23 PM

It appears that ECS makes the mobo in your system. Go to this link to get the manual:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

Verify that this is the mobo, but it looks like the SPDIF is located on the side of the mobo, right along the edge. This should really help!
m
l
June 30, 2010 11:03:10 PM

COLGeek said:
It appears that ECS makes the mobo in your system. Go to this link to get the manual:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

Verify that this is the mobo, but it looks like the SPDIF is located on the side of the mobo, right along the edge. This should really help!

This confirms that I have been connecting to the right pins, but still don't know why it doesn't work. Also, couldn't get the manual from there.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 11:49:11 PM

You could get the mobo manual, but not for the system. Only emachines can provide that.In the Nvidia Control Panel, there is a section called Digital Audio that is a portal Windows Sound Settings panel for GPUs that support digital audio when an HDMI or DisplayPort connection is made. Have you verified the settings for your system?
m
l
!