Sign in with
Your question

Sane problem even with NEW power supply :(

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2010 6:57:55 AM

Hey again all.. My powersupply fan goes way too fast and gets way too hot when playing games, which it never used to do. It may have something to do with accidentally dislodging a pci cart when plugging it in and forgettingto screw it in. This caused the pc to hang, and soon after this the psu is noisy. Bought a new 1, same problem..

What on earth is up with it? All parts and within 5 months of purchasing, and everything is stable except the noise from the psu. According to psu calculator I only need 380W but have tried 480w and 550w same problem.

Thanks so much for helping me :) 
October 11, 2010 7:00:35 AM

specs:

Phenom ii 944 x4 3.2
hd 5770
m4a785td-v evo
500 (not 550, sorry!) OCZ stealthxstream, followed by a 480W xpower
4gb ddr3
hd
dvd drive
tv tuner (what i dislodged)
October 11, 2010 3:11:35 PM

Sounds like your PC is just getting much too hot, what case are you using, how many fans (+ size), and how's the airflow/cabling?
Related resources
October 11, 2010 3:21:57 PM

I would tend to agree with you, but the problem occurs only now, after having been fine once already... I will attempt to cool things down anyway, thanks for the suggestion
October 12, 2010 6:49:37 AM

AHA! I just remembered I removed the 80mm case fan from the back of my pc because it had become too loud... this must've put additional pressure on the psu? I will buy a new fan today!
October 12, 2010 8:32:44 AM

Try this, If that motherboard has a build-in video card - remove the HD5770. Connect the monitor into the build-in video, disconnect the DVD drive, hard disk and TV Tuner, now go to your BIOS then check the Hardware Monitor lets see if it still heats up. Connect the card one by one to spot the suspected card. I have suspected the TV Tuner. Careful, always remove the AC plug when plugging something.
!