Sign in with
Your question

Can i run a pentium dual core with a heat sink only?

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2010 7:06:10 AM

Hello,

I've just bought a HTPC box and am about to start getting the rest of the components.
This will be for media only.

What I would like to know is, can I run the Intel E3300 without a fan? Looking at using a heatsink only.

The video card I will most likely use is an MSI N210 on a MSI G31TM-P21 mobo.

Any info will be much apreciated. Thanks.
a c 107 à CPUs
October 11, 2010 7:22:09 AM

It's not safe to do so.

Is your Intel E3300 a retail boxed CPU? If it is, it will come with a stock heatsink and fan. Use that until you can get the correct fan for the heatsink you really want to use.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 7:27:56 AM

Nope you can't atleast not unless you have an air conditioning duct terminating right on the heat-sink :( 
As the computer works up it'll get hotter and hotter leading to a burnout of the processor, you really need to look into something slick if you don't want the sound of that fan to irritate you.
Go in for a off the shelf liquid cooler if it's the noise that bothers you.
Related resources
October 11, 2010 9:09:29 AM

ko888 said:
It's not safe to do so.

Is your Intel E3300 a retail boxed CPU? If it is, it will come with a stock heatsink and fan. Use that until you can get the correct fan for the heatsink you really want to use.

Yes it is the retail boxed version. Ok, cool thats for the info!

I suppose the next 'side question' would be, what is the fastst processor I can use without a fan (if you know of one)?

If I understood what I'e read from other posts/forums, I would most like need to get a (used) P4 or possibly a Celeron 430 (1.8GHz)?
October 11, 2010 9:19:02 AM

2184873,3,488101 said:
Nope you can't atleast not unless you have an air conditioning duct terminating right on the heat-sink :( 
As the computer works up it'll get hotter and hotter leading to a burnout of the processor, you really need to look into something slick if you don't want the sound of that fan to irritate you.
Go in for a off the shelf liquid cooler if it's the noise that bothers you.[/quotemsg

I dont think the noise would irratate me, I would just like to have the box to be as quiet as I can make it.
If I cant, I'll just have to crank up the volume!

As much as I would like to, liquid coolers are pretty pricey down here! I dont want to be spending too much cash on the box.
What I am doing is keeping my PC for gaming only, and the HTPC box for everything else.
If I do eventually go for liquid cooling, it will definitely go into the PC before the HTPC!

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 9:20:18 AM

There are plenty of heatsinks designed specifically for HTPC use that use low-noise fans.

I'd strongly suggest looking into them instead of a fanless CPU - I guarantee anything that could be used without a fan will be far too weak to be used for anything meaningful.
October 11, 2010 10:20:35 AM

even a p4 runs hot. a via 1ghz cpu can be run fanless. but its reallllyyyyy slllooowwww
!