Windows refuses to install to my SSD

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I bought an Intel 520 SSD (60GB). So, I put in a windows installation disk, I boot into it, it detects my SSD just fine, but when I try to install it says "windows setup was unable to create a new system partition or find an existing one" or something along those lines. I know the SSD works, because I can put it in an external enclosure and read/write to it just fine, and have run disk checking utilities on it which all check out. I read somewhere that I should "create a partition table" on the drive, so I did just that (after trying to format it to ntfs and install from the disk which did the same thing). So I used linux Gparted to create a partition table, no problem, but that didn't solve the problem either. One thing I haven't tried is switching my bios to IDE mode. It is currently in ACHI mode, which I have read is what is SUPPOSED to be in. If that works, then I will still be screwed because once you install windows in IDE mode, it will be slower, and you can't switch to ACHI mode without a registry hack, which honestly, I don't trust, and would not like to have to use.

What I have tried:

Formatting the disk NTFS
Used diskpart and done run a "clean" on the disk
Used Gparted to create a partition table

What I have not tried:

removing all other drives when trying to install windows from disc
switching my bios to IDE mode (although this is not ideal, since that would result in slower read/write speeds, which is the whole reason I bought an SSD)

As far as the windows setup goes, I am NOT doing an upgrade, I'm going to advanced, select the disk, gives me error, delete the partition, try to install, gives me error, click "new" (I'm assuming this makes a new NTFS part.) and it again, gives me an error.

Any suggestions? I have looked up countless installation guides, which all tell me to treat the SSD as a normal hard drive.

Also, I have been doing research before posting this, and it seems that possibly disabling "UEFI" in my system bios might solve the problem. I'm going to try that and still post this. If it works I'll post that in case someone else has this problem in the future.

System:
Asus G74-sx Laptop
intel i7-2630QM
8gb ddr3 @ 1333mhz

Update: while I was making this post, and doing research I found that windows likes the device to have only 1 partition. I went back into gparted, and as it turns out there was a 1.3mb partition, while the rest was unallocated space. I deleted this partition... and now neither windows nor linux will identify the drive =[ FML

Please... someone help...

EDIT: The reason I have not tired unplugging all of my drives and trying to install to the ssd from the boot disc, is because I am at work and don't feel that taking apart my laptop would be appropriate. I will post the results as soon as I get home, but I am not too hopefull, especially now that windows won't detect the drive in an external enclosure anymore.

Solution
-Make sure SSD is the first boot option and not the DVD
-At boot mash boot option key to load from DVD

This should work,

Otherwise, remove all other HDDs etc from PC then try again.

RealBeast

Titan
Secure erase the drive, then just do a normal installation with the Windows install disk. If the laptop has a second HDD disconnect it prior to the new install.

And remember to switch back to AHCI prior to the install, although the registry change is quite simple.

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

Ok, what exactly do you mean by "secure erase" using what program?

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Oh god... Please... Somebody help me... I didn't just brick my SSD did I?

It doesn't make any sense that windows can't detect the SSD after deleting that partition! Isn't the whole point of a hard drive to format and partition it as you see fit? Surely the drive's functionality could not have been reliant on this 1.3mb partition right? Aghhh I hope someone knows something about this problem I'm having...

Edited: I feel a little more at ease, windows DOES still sort of detect the drive. I can see it under "devices and printers"

http://imgur.com/fbgTu

it says "this device is functioning properly, BUT it does not come up under my computer and I don't know how to access it.

SCUZNUTS

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
-Make sure SSD is the first boot option and not the DVD
-At boot mash boot option key to load from DVD

This should work,

Otherwise, remove all other HDDs etc from PC then try again.

Solution

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks will try and post results! Not getting off of work till 8:00pm, wish I could provide a more quick resonse.

knight fall

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Same type of problem happened to me. In my case the storage was a HDD. I created a 150 mb primary partition for MBR & othershit. Then I disconnected all other drives and started installing windows. It worked just fine.

dies

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
doing it with AHCI on initially can be wonky some boards and drivers are a pita to get to work i just turn ahci off to install and back on after install which is simple enough to do from the following link its a simple regedit once windows is installed with a couple reboots and switching ahci on in bios

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

and also dont have any other drives plugged in while installing it leads to conflicts and drops install files on multiple drives sometimes.

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you guys so much for all of the support!

Here's the suggested fixes in order:

Intel disk management utility has a secure erase option
-- Tried, the software greyed out all options, but it detected the drive even though windows didn't fully
Make sure SSD is the first boot option and not the DVD,At boot mash boot option key to load from DVD
-- This worked! I don't know why boot priority should matter to the windows setup, but apparently it does?
created a 150 mb primary partition for MBR
-- Didn't try since it's working now
try with IDE mode, switch to ACHI afterward with registry hack
-- Didn't try since it's working now

So yea, my SSD is up and running and HOLY CRAP is it fast...
The only down side, is that I have to install all of my drivers, it just plug'n'play'ed everything. But I'm used to that having worked as a computer technician.

Thank you for all your help, I was really frustrated trying to get this working.

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Great... Just when I thought I was out of the woods. Everything works, but I can't access my second (1tb) hard drive. This is kind of a big deal, since 60gb is not very much, and I have all my data on the 1TB. I will probably be able to resolve the issue, but still any help would be appreciated.

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
(Hopefully final update)

So after updating my ACHI controller driver, windows detected my second hard drive, but wouldn't access it. Turns out I had to right click "import foreign disk" on it in disk management. All good on my end now, these forums are awesome!

TRENDING THREADS