Need advice ATI Radeon X1800 GTO vs Others

Morutimeru

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I need a new graphic card for online gaming such as Lineage2, Aion Online, WoW, CODMW2, and a little play of Crysis Warhead. My budget is $45 USD, I can buy an X1800GTO 256MB in $33 USD. The thing is that I want to use the card with a 32" HDTV, that's why first I was searching for a good card with HDMI below $45 but I found nothing, My HDTV has an DVI out but I think DVI can't transfer audio. What do you think I need to do? Buy an X1800GTO or an other card?

My actually system specs:

*500W PSU
*4GB DDR2 800 Ram
*Core 2 Duo E6550 2,33Ghz

EDIT: I also can buy a GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB GDDR3 in $45.

Please give me suggestions, and thanks for all.

Pardon me because of my low english level, I'm not a native english speaker. :)

X1800GTO?
It's an old card, don't buy it...
Seriously, save your money a little bit and get at least 9800GT/HD5670, x1800GTO or 9600GSO will struggle with 32" HDTV, even 9800GT/HD5670 are still not good enough with 32" TV...

Morutimeru

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Really? a 9600GSO can't support a 32" HDTV at 1280x720?? The thing is I think that a 9800GT or a HD 5670 are expensive... and I won't do intesive gaming, I only want to play Online games like lineage 2 and Aion Online...

Not all video cards with HDMI will output audio either, so don't worry about the DVI connector. Just becuase HDMI "can" do audio does not mean the device with it does it.

I'd check on the recommended cards on Toms, but you won't find anything good for under $70 or so. Especiall that will run Crysis at more than slideshow rates.

The only video cards that I am aware of which has built-in audio processors are the Radeon HD 4xxx and HD 5xxx series. nVidia requires a pass-thru cable to be connected between the video card and sound card (or on-board sound).

While the HD 5670 is expensive to you, it is actual a relatively in expensive mainstream video card. You should be able to purchase a 512MB version of the HD 5670 for roughly $85. Over your budget, but essentially not expensive at all.

A friend of mine a few years back used to push a 42 inch plasma on a meager x300 256mb just fine and used an surround sound system for audio. People two often do people forget that option. Personally I don't bother with TVs any more even though I know how to refurbish and repair flat panel displays.

You can send a Windows desktop to pretty much any resolution using almost any card, the issue comes when playing games. We use 42" monitors running off Intel motherboard video and they work, but I'm not going to even play solitare at that setting :)

That is why I prefer Plasma displays since they are still some what analog unlike LCDs that have a fixed resolution. On a plasma you can use other resolutions besides the normal default for PAL or NTSC.

Morutimeru

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@jaguarskx Thanks for all my friend, I think I will buy one from Amazon or ebay, because newegg doesn't allow international buyers (I live in Dominican Republic), and thanks again mate. :)