SH67H3 and some RAM Questions

aleksancevski

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I am looking to build a Shuttle SH67H3 for my mother. She doesn't need it for much, I just want to upgrade the 8 year old P4 that we have at the house. Currently, newegg is sold out of the shuttle barebones kit but they have an ETA of June 14. So I figure I could buy the ram, HD, and dvd drive (I can get the processor for $20 cheaper at microcenter). So i bought a western digital blue 500 GB 7200 rpm HD, an ASUS 24x dvd burner, and a dual channel set of ram from G. Skill (DDR3 1333 PC3 10666).
this one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

I have never built a Shuttle XPC before and actually it has been 8 years since i built my last computer (and by built, i mean i had a lot of help from a friend) Today, I went on the feedback for newegg and I noticed that someone posted all of their specs and they mentioned a "memory compatibility list" So I go and look at it, and of course my ram isn't their. They have stuff similar like a set from Corsair that is close:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145198

The difference is the "compatible" one has a cas latency of 9 and the one I ordered is an 8. Also, the corsair is 1.6v while the one i ordered is 1.5v. They are both Dual channel, DDR3 1333 PC3 10666. I just assumed that since it said it was compatible with DDR3 1333 that they were all good (stupid assumption, i know now) but they have "compatible" ram that is way faster as well.

My question is: Am I totally screwed on this RAM i ordered? Or should I wait, and try it out to see if it will work once I am able to order the barebones kit? The package is supposed to arrive on the 7th so that gives me a week to return it before I order the SH67H3.

Solution
Generally speaking, the Quality Vendor List (QVL), which you referred to as "Memory Compatibility List", is moreso a guide, as opposed to a requirement. The main purpose of the QVL is for the tech support (in my opinion). You see, tech support's job is to help you through problems. So, if you call tech support because your build isn't booting, you're likey going to consult the mobo manufacturer tech support first, especially if you don't know what the problematic part is. In an effort to assist you faster, manufacturers have performed tests with the parts mentioned on their QVL. However, this is not to say that if you don't buy hardware from this list that you won't be able to boot up your system.

To emphasize this fact, I have...
Generally speaking, the Quality Vendor List (QVL), which you referred to as "Memory Compatibility List", is moreso a guide, as opposed to a requirement. The main purpose of the QVL is for the tech support (in my opinion). You see, tech support's job is to help you through problems. So, if you call tech support because your build isn't booting, you're likey going to consult the mobo manufacturer tech support first, especially if you don't know what the problematic part is. In an effort to assist you faster, manufacturers have performed tests with the parts mentioned on their QVL. However, this is not to say that if you don't buy hardware from this list that you won't be able to boot up your system.

To emphasize this fact, I have never consulted the QVL to buy parts for the systems I've built in the past, nor have I ever run into a "not compatible" situation with the parts I've selected. Still, QVL or not, there is no guarantee that any part will work upon installation, so you shouldn't worry. When you get your parts together and are ready to build, read through this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

Solution

aleksancevski

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks T_T. I assumed it would be ok but I just wanted to be sure. Ill give it a go when I get all the parts together and hopefully it all works out. I appreciate the help.