Case switch motherboard installation

arsenalftw067

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hi, I'm building my first pc and I'm stuck at the part where you have to plug in the cables from the case to the motherboard, the power switch and so on

This is the diagram that my manual gave me:

PLED+ PLED - PWRBTN# GND
o o o o
HDLED+ HDLED- GND RESET# DUMMY
o o o o o

So the proper layout looks like this

oooo
ooooo

the circles being the area where you place the cables

the cables my case came with are PLED + PLED - (my manual also gives me another diagram of a 3 slot place with PLED + PLED - PLED + which I have no idea what that is since my case didnt give me additional PLED cables) Power SW Reset SW and HDD LED ( im guessing HDD LED is the same thing as HDLED, however it just gives me a 2 slot HDDLED cable instead of a 1 slot HDLED+ and 1 slot HDLED-)

The question i have is
1) the diagram says that the power switch takes up 1 slot, however my case power switch takes up 2, should I just put it in and occupy the GND?
2) what is GND and dummy?
3) same thing as 1, my reset switch takes up 2 slots but my motherboard gives me a 1 slot, should i plug it in and occupy a dummy slot or gnd slot?
4) what should i do with the hdd led cable? the diagram says hdled+ and hdled- that fits 2 slots (1 each) but my case gave me a hdd led cable that fits 2

powerconnection.gif

Can't understand why you won't divulge the make and model of your motherboard and case, that kind of information will help others to help you.

black/white wires usually denote the ground while colored wires are positive. This is only important for the power LED and the HD LED. On/Off and Reset have no polarity and can be inserted either way. Not to many computers I know of need the speaker wire anymore.

On the end of each wire there is a Triangle mark. I usually take this as the positive wire.

arsenalftw067

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
The case is a AZZA Hurrican 2000

yeah that diagram makes much more sense than the one on the manual, thanks a lot!

but what does gnd and dummy mean?

Also my case doesnt have any of the other cables for the front panel audio connector, and usb2.0 header

arsenalftw067

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Ok great, one last question.

Along with the cables for audio usb etc from the case, theres a random serial ATA cable sticking out, and I dont know what thats for. I have my dvd burner connected to the power supply and the motherboard through a seperate cable and goes the same for the hard drive, but theres a serial ATA cable just sticking out and I dont know what thats for

arsenalftw067

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
alright, thanks so much man i finally got everything assembled (correctly i hope)

when starting it up, what do i install first? the graphic card driver, windows 7, intel motherboard etc

my motherboard doesnt have an onboard video chpset btw

TRENDING THREADS