Sign in with
Your question

New build; More conservative suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2010 7:06:39 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: < $1,000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (Starcraft 2, maybe WoW) surfing the internet, misc system un-intensive stuff.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg and amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU and Nvidia video card

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is there a more conservative build?

------------------------------------------------
I was going to do a slow upgrade starting with a GTX 460, but I said, "to hell with it. I'm going to build a new system!"

I can afford and am willing to pay for the costs of the items below. BUT... the conservative side of me wants to explore a more conservative build. Although the parts I chose can do it, I most likely won't overclock and I probably wont do SLI/Crossfire. Is there a more conservative build?

I am using Amazon for most of the items because I won't pay for California sales tax as compared to Newegg.

CPU
Intel Core i5-760

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

motherboard
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - LGA 1156
(Hmmm.... As I write this post, I think the MOBO is the only part I am willing to come down on. I don't know if I will ever need USB3.0, dual video cards, or overclocking. Suggestions for alternate MOBOs will be much appreciated) :wahoo: 

Combo: Hard Drive & PSU (from Newegg)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

Video Card
MSI 460 GTX 1gb

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus (will I even need this if I don't overclock?) (Eh.. I'll get this when I decide to overclock. Not now though)
August 5, 2010 7:33:00 AM

@ kaliboy818

Please give links. Can't search for every item, without url's!!!
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:43:41 AM

Newegg has an openbox buy on that motherboard for $140 (instead of $180 retail) $140 is a good deal!

There is ZERO reasons to buy a 212 heatsink if you aren't overclocking.... the stock heatsink is included for a reason... b/c at stock speeds it will keep the CPU just cool and dandy.

RAm/cpu/HD/PSU look good to me. which case you looking at?
Budget case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Some helpful advice for the video card... check out amazon for the MSI cyclone 1gb GTX460. It's faster and has THE BEST cooling for 460's... its $235 shipped with $30 amazon credit... (so effectively $205) sick deal!
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2010 7:49:53 AM

POINT 1 - No you wont need an aftermarket cooler if you don't oc. But if you can afford it, it ain't gonna hurt either.

POINT 2 - If you are really set on the Gigabyte 768 MB, just spending 30 more will give you the Fermi 1 GB
m
l
August 5, 2010 8:33:39 AM

What resolution are you playing at? I would go with the 1gb version personally, lowriderflow seems to have found a great deal on one.

MSI P55 CD53 - $109.99
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-1156-Intel-Motherboard-P55CD5...

It has no USB/SATA III, it has no XFire/SLI capability. It does have the OC Genie, so if you want more power but are not comfortable OCing yourself, you can press abutton on the motherboard and it will Overclock your system at a stable lvl. It is one of the few auto OC devices that was given good reviews. I believe it can get an i5 750 to about 3.4ghz or so stable. Not as good an OC as extreme experienced OCers would want (they aim for at least 4ghz) but pretty damn good for someon who wasn't going to OC at all. (If you do play WoW, overclocking the CPU will help your performance due to it being so intensive on CPUs)

The downside is that the GTX 460s are amazing beasts in SLI, and if there are games in the future you decide to pick up, the extra juice may be useful and a motherboard without Crossfire/SLI does limit your options
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:37:22 PM

If you check out the chart at the end of the Best Gaming CPUs article, you'll see that an i5/650 is quite competent, and will cost somewhat less.
For one GTX460, a 500W PSU is sufficient.
Get DDR3-1333 if it will cost less than the DDR3-1600; you won't notice the performance difference, if any.
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:57:08 PM

see this build

AMD PHENOM II X4 955

XFX ATI RAEDEON HD5870

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

XFX BLACK EDITION 750W

G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC-12800 CL7 DUAL CHANNEL 7-7-7-24

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB
m
l
August 5, 2010 11:09:02 PM

Given the OP's parts preference, I did not suggest the AM3 CPU, although that might not be a bad idea especially considering that the new Bulldozer CPUs should be AM3 compatible.
An AM3 build could still use a nVidia GPU.
m
l
August 7, 2010 5:59:07 AM

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Ironic how I was asking for a more conservative build, but I'm leaning on a more aggressive one after this thread.

-I will opt for a 1gb GPU. :bounce: 
-The PSU I chose would be overkill since I don't plan on doing a double GPU, but newegg's combo of PSU and HD is nice pricing.
-That mobo with OC genie was nice, but I've always preferred 4 slots for ram. I saw only two. So I will probably stay with my original choice. I'll end up overclocking since its apparently recommended with this equipment

I'm going to sit on this decision for a couple more days. (I don't really know why, but I will wait some)

Anyway, thanks again for your input.
m
l
August 7, 2010 10:57:32 AM

Juanchioo said:
see this build

AMD PHENOM II X4 955

XFX ATI RAEDEON HD5870

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

XFX BLACK EDITION 750W

G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC-12800 CL7 DUAL CHANNEL 7-7-7-24

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB

I would have to second this. Reason being, that with such a tight budget I can't see a reason to suggest anything other than AMD. In addition, it will offer upgrades in the future without a new mobo which only increases the costs further. But, as most will tell you, the i5-750 is quite possibly the best budget gaming chip out there. It beats the 965 almost everytime; however it has no future upgrade path.

I wish you luck in your decision, it took me a couple weeks to pan out my decision.
m
l
August 7, 2010 2:56:55 PM

An Intel build based on the 760 will be more kick-a$$ any given day.

CPU + Mobo : $329 Core i5 760+Asus Maximus

RAM : $135 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD : $55 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

GPU : $239 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)

HSF : $50 Cooler Master HSF (wont require it as long as you don't oc)

PSU : $70 CORSAIR 650W

ODD : $23 LG SATA DVD Burner

Add ~$50 for the case, & this build which you wanted, will cost you around $950 even including the HSF that you're not gonna buy.

I'll go with this any day. I'tll kick some major league a$$.
m
l
!