Sign in with
Your question

Freezing on boot up

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2010 7:28:06 PM

Hey all this is my first post on the forums. I was hoping you all could help with a recent problem that has came up. I reinstalled my comp about 2 months ago with windows Xp Pro 64bit sp2. Everything has been running smooth and fast until the last 2 weeks. I've been getting freezes on boot ups every now and then.

I'd say it freezes one in every four boot ups. The freezes occur during the windows loading bar and the enter password screen. The only thing I have changed is adding 2gbs of ram to my system around 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if that could be the problem or not. I'm just praying my board isn't going out. My 4 year old system is as follows;

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA5600CZBOX

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW-BK/420W Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply

PHILIPS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

More about : freezing boot

October 11, 2010 7:46:08 PM

It may be an incompatibility issue with your new RAM modules. The system specs you listed mention both a 4x1GB setup and a 2x2GB setup, which do you have? Generally, it's best to get the exact same modules for dual-channel so you have a matched pair. Identical timings, speeds and voltages would be the next best thing.
m
l
October 11, 2010 11:02:34 PM

moody89 said:
It may be an incompatibility issue with your new RAM modules. The system specs you listed mention both a 4x1GB setup and a 2x2GB setup, which do you have? Generally, it's best to get the exact same modules for dual-channel so you have a matched pair. Identical timings, speeds and voltages would be the next best thing.

The ram is the exact same as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm not seeing something. Here is the original ram I ordered followed by the new ram I ordered.

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) TWIN2X2048-6400C4
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 11:14:53 PM

They do seem to be identical sticks aside from the difference in size. This may in itself be enough to cause instability issues however, since it states in the motherboard manual that identical brand, size and speed should be used for dual-channel configurations. In what order do you have the sticks inserted? For your mobo, the DIMMS of the same colour operate in dual-channel.

Personally I'd like to see the two 2GB sticks in DIMM 1 and 2 respectively (the two closest to the CPU). Then install the two 1GB sticks in DIMM 3 and 4 respectively. Is this how you already had them installed?

It may also be worth heading into the BIOS and manually adjusting your RAM settings. Try relaxing the RAM Timings a little to see if this helps. If you're not sure how to do this, it should be in your motherboard manual here:

http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_g...
m
l
October 12, 2010 1:13:01 AM

moody89 said:
They do seem to be identical sticks aside from the difference in size. This may in itself be enough to cause instability issues however, since it states in the motherboard manual that identical brand, size and speed should be used for dual-channel configurations. In what order do you have the sticks inserted? For your mobo, the DIMMS of the same colour operate in dual-channel.

Personally I'd like to see the two 2GB sticks in DIMM 1 and 2 respectively (the two closest to the CPU). Then install the two 1GB sticks in DIMM 3 and 4 respectively. Is this how you already had them installed?

It may also be worth heading into the BIOS and manually adjusting your RAM settings. Try relaxing the RAM Timings a little to see if this helps. If you're not sure how to do this, it should be in your motherboard manual here:

http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_g...

All four sticks are 1gb sticks for a total of 4gbs. The older sticks are in the first two slots on the mobo closest to the cpu. The newer sticks are in the next two slots. As far as going into the bios and manually adjusting setting I haven't been able to find where to do this.
EasyTune6 which came with mobos driver install disk allows me to adjust any setting with the hardware. According to EasyTune the Timings Tables are as follows;

Frequency: 400/270/400

CAS# Latency: 5.0/4.0/4.0

RAS# to CAS#: 5/4/4

RAS# Precharge: 5/4/4

Tras: 18/13/12

Memory: 800mhz

If I'm leaving something out please let me know. I'm a total noob at overclocking or adjusting any settings with my hardware; since I've never needed to do so.
m
l
October 12, 2010 6:44:31 PM

Can anyone offer some more insight to my problem. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place to change up my memory settings.
m
l
October 12, 2010 6:46:44 PM

zephead said:
Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Apologies, this line confused me. I thought you had 2x2Gb sticks as well as you're original sticks giving you 6GB in total. Does your original two sticks work fine? Well the easiest thing to do at this point would be just to swap the order of the memory around. Try a couple of different configurations in order and see if this makes any difference.

I would also be tempted to try the sticks one at a time. It could be that one of your sticks is faulty (it does happen, even with new ones sometimes) and by inserting them one at a time you can locate the faulty stick if there is one. Trying them one at a time in different slots will also test if one of your DIMM slots is bad.

MemTest86+ is also a useful utility for testing RAM. Burn it to a bootable CD and boot into it when you restart your computer. Leave the test run for a few passes. If you detect any faults then it's time to test each stick one at a time to locate the faulty stick.

It does appear that your BIOS doesn't have the option to adjust memory timings. However, in EasyTune, it would be the following options you quoted:

Quote:

CAS# Latency: 5.0/4.0/4.0

RAS# to CAS#: 5/4/4

RAS# Precharge: 5/4/4

Your memory is listed in the support memory for your motherboard so you shouldn't have to change these settings really speaking. I'm not a fan of adjusting things from within the OS personally - I prefer to use the BIOS but if you don't have the option there's not much you can do. Try the above and post back with any results. Good luck!
m
l
November 23, 2010 6:39:14 PM

So after another month I've still got this problem. I ran Memtest86 last night to check for problems. I'm not very familiar with Memtest86, but here is the error message it gave after running all night.

"1 error detected. Memory error detected! Pair 53029371 does not store values accurately. Memtest has dectected your computer cannot store data on ram."

Does this error message direct me to the stick which is bad or could it be my DIMM slot? If anyone knows about Memtest86 any info. would be appreciated.
m
l
November 24, 2010 12:01:35 AM

Hey Zephead, Nice name. :D  Zep ROCKS!

Have you tried just going back to one set of RAM to see if that resolves the issue? Or another thing to just try out is make sure the new set is setup to work together in the same channel and the old set together: meaning if the RAM slots on your motherboard are color-coded put the matchings sets in the same color slot, usually 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 go together.
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:48:46 AM

thechief73 said:
Hey Zephead, Nice name. :D  Zep ROCKS!

Have you tried just going back to one set of RAM to see if that resolves the issue? Or another thing to just try out is make sure the new set is setup to work together in the same channel and the old set together: meaning if the RAM slots on your motherboard are color-coded put the matchings sets in the same color slot, usually 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 go together.

Thanks for the reply chief. Yes my DIMM slots are colored coded, but it's 1 red 2 red 3 yellow 4 yellow. Tonight I tested all the DIMM slots with my orignal 2gbs of RAM and they seem to all be working. Also ran Memtest on the old sticks "test results 0 errors". So all I can figure out is that 1 or both of the new sticks of RAM have some sort of defect. Corsair sent me the RMA # and shipping info today. I'll send them back tomorrow and maybe these new sticks will fix my problem. If not I'll be very disappointed :??:  .
m
l
November 24, 2010 4:22:13 PM

Oh, right I didnt think about the pairs being next to eachother also, my board is everyother slot like I wrote down.

Well with the memory error you got it very well may be the RAM, I hope that the new set fixes your problem, Corsair is a good company.

lets us know how it goes. :)  If your still having problems maybe one of us can help you figure it out.
m
l
!