High temperature, faulty harware

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
What I wanted to know is what should my temperature be I got

Motherboard is gigabyte 945GCM-S2C

E2220 @2.4 overclocked to 2.88 which is running at 57c @ idle it has coolmaster fan.
ps thats the highest stable speed I could get it to. I had it at 3.0 once but I kept getting blue screens...

radeon hd 5750 running at 66c idle with 46% fan usage. Slightly oc but below what auto tune set it to

my hdds are 49c and 53c

MY case is Apevia X-cruiser only 2 small(40mm?) fans on the case it self
What I need to know is what are some things I can do to get my temperatures lower
and whats the best software to use to stress test the hardware. preferably all in one and user friendly
Is pc wizard any good my friend recommended it

Thx

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah your temps are way high. I mean you can do the follwing;

1 - Try to get as much dust and crud out of your machine, epecially the heat sink itself and all your fans.

2 - Re-seat the Heat Sink Fan, re-apply some thermal paste (scrape off old paste carefully with a piece of cardboard)

3 - Try to neaten up all the cables in your case carefully, using cable ties to tie them together. This will aid air-flow.

4 - Lower your overclock a little bit. Remeber that the temps rise exponentially with the clock speed.

5 - Most people recommend you use the tool "Prime95" (which you can find through google) to stress-test an overclocked rig. Personally I also like to use ORTHOS (another free tool you will find on google) because its easier to use. Im not sure if CoreTemp or RealTemp will work with your CPU, but I think they will. You just open one of the temperature tools, leave it on the screen, open Prime or ORTHOS and start the test.

Good Luck!!!

(1) what is your Room (ambient) temp. @ idle CPU should be approx 10 deg hotter.

(2) I suspect your case has insuffient air flow. Remove side panel and recheck core temps. I use CPUID HWMonitor to monitor temps and voltages (Just google for a link - would do But have to go to a meeting). I would replace Fans, If case will only eccept 40 mm - get the Highest volume CFM you can find, beter yet find a better low cost case.

(3) As above post - If removing side panell temps are still high, Reset HSF, use Alcohol (I use 91% from drug store).

(4) when Idle temps are exceptable, then run prime 95, blend test, and monitor temps. should be Upper 50s to -> low 60s

CPU idle temps are much too high. Ballpark figure, I think they should be less than 10 C over ambient. Load temps for an E2220 should not exceed 70 C, and 65 C would be better.

GPU temps at little high, but they run hotter anyway.

I think HD temps should not exceed 35 C.

CoreTemp and RealTemp will work with the C2 processors.

Orthos is easier to use than Prime95, but the last time I used it, it only worked completely on dual core CPU's.

After you clean out your case and refit the cooler, the two things you can do to improve cooling is a better case (Antec 300 is a good choice) and get a better CPU cooler. For C2D CPU's, I like the Xig Dark Knight:
Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Thx every1 for replys with open side my tempetures dropped a bit but I just woke up so my computer is not stressed yet
atm my cpu is low 50s
my hds 41,44

and my video card is 65c it seems like ati software prefers this temperature since now the fan is even slower @ 43%...

ill try dust cleaning should I use compressed air or there is another way?

Temps are way high with side panel removed both for CPU and HDDs and GPU. Repeat what is room temp as this plays a big part in looking at component temps. For every degree increase in room temp you can expect a 1 C increase in component temp.
Try using a room fan blowing into the side of the computer.
If the air temp next to the HSF is 40 C (Note high GPU temp (?? is your graphic card a double slot cooler, or does it blow the hot air into your case??) and 40 C HDD temp, then with poor air circulation you will have high CPU temp.

Most charts (Comparing diff HSF) are based on a ambient temp of around 22 C. (72 F). @ that temp a stock intel HSF with Fair Case circulation they core temps should be in the ballpark of of 32 C - many with stock HSF and Fair air flow will see upper 30s (My consenses of user comments, could be off a little).

For a Comparision: I5-750 OCed @32, Avgerage HSF (NOT high end), Great air flow. Room temp 80 F (just under 27C): Idle temps - CPU cores 36 C, HDD about 32 C, ATI 5770 less than 50 C.

For a starter, if HDDs are around 40 C this is a definite indication of poor air flow. To compound this the High GPU temp also is going to increase the air temp that is blowing accross the CPU. Two little 40 mm fans is NOT enough. Min should be 2 90 mm fans, one air intake at front and one exshust at rear.

As jsc said, time for a better case. If you can afford it a better HSF (preferably one with a backing plate - NOT push pins) would help.

jsc - That 10 C over ambient came from a foot note or comment for one of the comparision charts lost my link to- more of a base line. Back of my mind it also indicated a +20 C for under load. In my system the air temp of the air blowing into the HSF is only 1 C above ambient (Have a indoor/outdoor temperature unit with the outdoor thermistor mounted about 1 - 2" from the Fan on the HSF. Mine tracks at +9 C from 20C to 28C ambient. A better HSF would lower this delta.

Compressed air (just do not hold real close) and a 1" pant brush (soft brissel) is fine just use common sense.

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I got no way of finding out what is the temp of my room but outside at, is 33c (92f) the fan is next to my case and got the conditioner on with all of this the temp dropped 2-3 degrees on everything but its still way to hot... I just cant imagine that the case could make that big of a difference... I will try to get it clean/get fresh thermal paste...

What about getting new fan will that help? and how much of a difference will it make?

According to the Apevia website your case will handle 4 fans.
2 x 80mm fan - front (optional)
1 x 80mm UV blue LED fan - top (included)
1 x 80mm UV blue LED fan - rear (included) upgradable to 120mm fan.
I would fill as many fan mounts as possible with quiet fans.

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Ok thx ill just order some on amazon hopefully it will do the trick