Partition gone after Windows 8 installation

Mufti

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

I floolishely updated my laptop with Windows 8 yesterday, with all my external hard drives connected. It all went fine except for my 2TB USB3 hard drive that went missing. When I go to the Computer Management, it's still there, Healthy, but there is no file system, so I can't access it...
I guess I can reformat it, but there is some data in there I want to make sure I can recover afterwards, so I just want to confirm that I can reformat it and with a file recovery program, I'll be able to get my files back, before I do something and I lose everything. The files are pretty important to me...

Thanks

Is it showing as "Raw" and has no drive letter assigned to it?
If yes, then try simply assigning a drive letter to it:

Right-click the ribbon for that drive in bottom-right pane of Disk Management, and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths".

Click "New".

Select a letter from the drop-down box, then click "OK"
The ribbon should then show the drive name, it's partition-type, and the drive letter you chose for it.
It should now be accessible in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

Mufti

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

I tried that, but no, it's not that, it's a little bit like it's not formatted, waiting to be turned into a FAT, NTFS or HFS or whatnot drive...

revp1988

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
DID A TERRIBLE MISTAKE... I FORMATTED MY WHOLE HDD AND MADE IT A SINGLE PARTITION... AND INSTALLED WN 8 TO TRY IT!!!!!!
When I change my mind and tried to install my copy of Windows 7 back..... It started coming up with errors..
And I plugged my HDD as secondary HDD in my Desktop, it is showing as un-partitioned space... which is unable to format, partition or do anything... It is showing initializing failure....
ANY IDEA HOW TO FIX? EVEN LINUX can't do anything on this HDD..

Actually now am stuck with WIN 8.. Am forced to use Win 8.. Don't know if to replace HDD or to buy WIN 8!!!!!
(IS TAT WHAT REALLY Microsoft WANTED?)

revpp_88@live.com

Septmtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I'm french, hope I'll make myself clear enough ! :pt1cable:

I have both, Windows XP and Windows 8 (dual boot) installed on my computer. I have 2 hard drives + 1 (500GB) external drive (I). Fisrt HD has three partitions (C,F.G), the second one has got three also (D,E,H). Windows 8 is on partition C, Windows XP on partition D.

After installing Windows 8, all 7 partitions are being recognised and everything is going absolutely fine. After 3 or 4 days, while using the computer, hard drive number 2 (D,E, F) completely disappears. Need to reboot the system to get them back.

I tried to reinstall Windows 8, the problem is the same, after a couple of days, I keep losing all three partitions and need to reboot the computer. After rebooting, everything is stable until they just disappears again.

When using Windows XP, everything is there and I’m not losing anything? Could it be a bug in Win 8 ?

MangaMuzenza

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
!!!!NEED HELP!!!!when i was installing windows 8 i sapareted the 1tb hdd as 2 parts like 400gb and 550gb but now i cant see the 550gb part!!!!!
i need help and i cant reboot my computer from dvd. it just dont start to reinstall the windows 8!!!!

honey6293

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Problem: - It did happened while i tried to create partitions (although in windows 7). as others said. they just disappeared. tried everything from Disk Management to Reinstalling and Formatting while booting with windows 7 DVD. But it showed a message that not enough spsce to create partition.

Solution :- 1. Install a good Partition Manager Software/ HDD manager (you can review them on Toptenreviews.com)
2. Scan for drives/partitions in Software.
3. Select Partition and Format it.
4. Apply changes!! Reboot! Ready to go.

Problem:- if there was data on Hdd/Partition. and it is not working (in any way, and requires formatting)
Answer:-
1. simply Format it once. (Doesnot matter in one partition or Multiple.)
2. Recommended: make only single partition (Perfect!)
3. Do not Copy or install anything in that partition.
if available , Attach that hdd to another computer/Laptop.
3. Install R-Studio Recovery Manager Software in other computer.
4. Scan the 2nd Hdd attacthed.
5. then it will show you whole data on that Formatted hdd as it was.
6. Bigger the Hdd volume more time it requires to be scanned. prevent from power failure
7. Recover data in the other hdd (not the one being scanned by software)
that is it!

Remember not to copy or write or install anything in The formatted Hdd. untill :

1. Scan by R-Studio is complete and
2. Untill you have recovered everything you need to recover.

Good day!!

minu jha

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

yessssssss it worked i recovered everything !!!! h thanks buddy