No video even with new video card

Hello: I have a A8N-SLI motherboard and an Athlon 64x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU. I have 2 GB of ram.

Yesterday when I booted up, I had no video. During boot up, I heard one long beep and three short beeps, which I believe means no video card.

I tested the monitor on another PC and it worked.

So, today I replaced the old video card

-- an EVGA GeForce 7900 GT 256 MB GDDR3 PCIe

with a new card

-- an MSI GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR-3 PCIe 2.0.

I still hear the four beeps on boot up and have no video. I know that the PC is booting up, i.e. I hear the Windows music and even, the first time, a pop probably meaning it found the new card.

I'm stumped. What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for any advice
6 answers Last reply
More about video video card
  1. I cleared the CMOS memory per the manual, but no luck. Any suggestions (before I hit it with a hammer)? Thanks.
  2. On the advice of a teenaged clerk at Micro Center, who refunded me for my replacement video card and seemed much smarter than I am, I swapped out the RAM from the motherboard. That didn't work either.
  3. I have two theories now 1) something is fatally wrong with the motherboard or the components thereon and I will never have video again with it or 2) the PCIe slot is broken.

If the second theory is correct and I put a PCI video card in one of the open PCI slots, should it work?

Anybody?

Thanks.
  4. Try moving the card onto a different slot. Make sure you plugged in the 12 rail onto the video card first.
  5. Thanks. The motherboard has only one PCIE slot that can be used if you're using a single video card. If the PCIE slot is the problem and I use a PCI video card in a PCI slot instead, should that work, i.e. if you have a PCIE slot, does a motherboard require that you use only that slot for video?
  6. I bought a cheap PCI video card and put it in an open PCI slot; it works, albeit very slowly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Graphics Cards Video Motherboards