Sign in with
Your question

Need help understanding the differences between these two CPU's

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2010 9:13:48 PM

Hi everyone

Hoping a few knowledge able people can help me with the following processors. I am looking to build a new computer and there are 2 processors I have selected. The first processor is an AMD 965 Phenom II and the second one is an i950 Intel Processor.

I'm comparing these 2 processors from a website www.canadacomputers.com and I need to decide on a processor and there are a few things I don't understand

First is the AMD:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (125W) Quad Core Socket AM3, 3.4GHz, 8Mb Cache, 1800MHz HT, 45nm

First I understand that the word AM3 refers to socket of the board the chip will fit into.
Second the 3.4 GHz is the rated speed.
Third 8mb refers to cache

However what does the following mean:

1800MHz HT

Intel Processor:

Intel Core i7 950 Quad-Core Socket LGA1366, 3.06Ghz, 4.8GT/s FSB, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm

Looking at the intel processor I understand that LGA1366 refers to the socket of course this chip will fit.
3.06Ghz is the rated speed
8Mb refers to the cache

However what does the 4.8GT/s FSB mean?

Finally I did bit a research and found out the AMD 965 can be overclocked to 4.2 Ghz stable. I tried to look for how much you can overclock the i950 to but couldn't find too much on this.

In terms of CPU which is the better one and why?

I am hoping someone can tell me also is it the speed that makes a CPU better and faster? Or is it something else.

Any help would be most appreciated.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 9:37:01 PM

It's a combination of factors that all contribute to the performance of a CPU. Speed, or more correctly described as frequency, is one of (and arguably the most important) of these factors.

Of the two you listed above, the i7 950 is the better CPU due to differences other than frequency such as architecture etc. the list goes on. To be honest it's a pretty complicated subject but at the most simplistic level, Intel have the better performing CPUs but AMD CPUs are generally considered better value for money etc. Both companies produce great CPUs that have their own individual merits - thorough research is the best way to ensure what you get suits your needs.

The i7 950 is also a very overclockable CPU.

If you need any advice for a new build/upgrade then you're in the right place. Just post your budget and what you use your system for and we can advise based on your own needs.
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:25:46 PM

Dude, the i7, did you check the price? You get what you pay for. One chip is twice the price of the other, so, yeah, it's faster.

If you want a cheap fast computer, get the AMD and a cheap motherboard (read the recent articles on CPU's & games, with a decent GPU the processor makes almost no difference - 4 fast cores is all you need at most).

If you want the fasted possible machine for media encoding etc then get the i7.

Both chips are soon to be replaced, so it really comes down to your budget and needs, if it's just gaming then the 965 or the i5 are just fine, the i7 would be a complete waste of money, as this site clearly points out in the 'best gaming CUP's' articles.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 4:25:53 AM

Quote:
I7 is light years ahead of that phenom.Clock per clock intel crushes amd.4 ghz phenom will perform same as 3.4 ghz intel.If you want to play game then i7 will be significantly better than phenom.

Settle down intel fanboy, do not feed false information to the OP.

The Phenom II 965 is more then enough for gaming, don't let this fool or anyone else tell you otherwise.

That being said, the I7 950 is a superior CPU, but it happens to cost twice as much as a Phenom II 965, so one would expect better performance from the more expensive CPU.

What do you plan on doing with this PC? If it's only gaming then you should go with the Phenom II 965.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
October 12, 2010 4:26:55 AM

If you want a pure gaming platform for other than Flight Simulator or any other CPU bound game, get the AMD system and spend part of what you saved on improved graphics.

You do not need maximum CPU performance.All you need is a CPU faast enough to keep the graphics card(s) fed.
m
l
October 12, 2010 4:42:37 AM

amk09 said:
Settle down intel fanboy, do not feed false information to the OP.

The Phenom II 965 is more then enough for gaming, don't let this fool or anyone else tell you otherwise.

That being said, the I7 950 is a superior CPU, but it happens to cost twice as much as a Phenom II 965, so one would expect better performance from the more expensive CPU.

What do you plan on doing with this PC? If it's only gaming then you should go with the Phenom II 965.

Heck I can pick up a I7-950 right now for $230. The 965 can't even keep up with a I7-930 much less the 950, and I can get the 930 for $199. It's nice living around a Microcenter.
m
l
October 12, 2010 4:54:54 AM

Unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of living near a microcenter.

965 on Newegg - $159

i7 950 on Newegg - $299

That's an extra $140 you can put towards better graphics.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 4:57:59 AM

Well, since the others have been very informative and specific. I think I'll give some perspective for the OP to see (without brand naming):

1. The bottom line is, you get what you paid for. Everyone have their own preferences, but price (usually) don't lie. Even when it's overpriced :lol: 

2. If money is no object for you, then get the best money can buy. But if it is, then get the highest price to performance ratio. Simply speaking, if A performs 100% with the price of $100, while B performs 70% with the price of $50, then B has a higher price to performance ratio. You can save that $50 with a performance not that far away from A.

3. In the end, it all comes down to preference. Are you a big spender, smart buyer, or cheapskate? Your own profile will determine your mindset. Be smart, be objective, and determine your concept. Don't waste your money for things you don't need. However, don't think about saving $1-2 if it compromise the performance significantly, remember the price to performance ratio principal. That's the ideal way to build a PC. As for advices, you can always turn to Tom's... :D 

@dipankar: Light years away? Try to be more subtle on the side taking comments, will you?
m
l
October 12, 2010 5:13:36 AM

damasvara said:
Well, since the others have been very informative and specific. I think I'll give some perspective for the OP to see (without brand naming):

1. The bottom line is, you get what you paid for. Everyone have their own preferences, but price (usually) don't lie. Even when it's overpriced :lol: 

2. If money is no object for you, then get the best money can buy. But if it is, then get the highest price to performance ratio. Simply speaking, if A performs 100% with the price of $100, while B performs 70% with the price of $50, then B has a higher price to performance ratio. You can save that $50 with a performance not that far away from A.

3. In the end, it all comes down to preference. Are you a big spender, smart buyer, or cheapskate? Your own profile will determine your mindset. Be smart, be objective, and determine your concept. Don't waste your money for things you don't need. However, don't think about saving $1-2 if it compromise the performance significantly, remember the price to performance ratio principal. That's the ideal way to build a PC. As for advices, you can always turn to Tom's... :D 

@dipankar: Light years away? Try to be more subtle on the side taking comments, will you?

+1
m
l
October 12, 2010 5:47:29 AM

Quote:
When it comes to pc hardware one generation can be compared to a light year considering the pace by which pc technology goes forward.

Yes that statement is true, unfortunately it doesn't apply when comparing the 965 and i7 950, for two reasons:

1. The i7 costs twice as much

2. The i7 is NOT light years ahead of the 965, especially when it comes to gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 5:59:49 AM

Quote:
@damasvara dude you analogy is very similar to most of my countrymen.

My analogy is based on experience, although not much, and real time comparison, not from some benchmark chart and brand marketing sweet talking. The main objective is clear: get the best product with the lowest price. Quite reasonable for me. You should see how those housewives gone crazy over 70% discounts at the mall. Although it's not really a 70%, but the tag really hypnotize them. Talk about brain control :lol: 

But it's interesting to know that. By your statement, I assume you have a different analogy. Care to share it with us?

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 6:38:10 AM

Well, that's what diversity is all about. Whether it's AMD, Intel or even VIA, as long as you're comfortable with it, then it's fine.

My advice for the OP, consider every factor before you make purchase. Regret always comes late. If it comes before, it would be pregret :D 

Simply put, would you go over a cliff if you know you'll fall down? It's a rhetorical question, don't answer that :lol: 
m
l
October 12, 2010 6:40:36 AM

Lets not forget that you can get a descent AM3 baord for around $100, good luck getting a 1366 board anywhere near that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 6:59:20 AM

@dipankar: Do I? Must be the darker skin and short haircut.

That's a Google Chrome notebook sticker I got from a Google employee who manages Google Chrome Facebook Fan page. She sent it as a token of appreciation for sharing my "expertise" to the others. Since it came from the great country, USA (I'm not exaggerating it), I thought I'd show it around as a token of gratitude (stealth advertising thing! :D ) Nah, just kidding. It's just a refreshment from my old avatar. It's either this or my gothic looking avatar :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 7:20:30 AM

@dipankar: :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

So true... Then again, it's the sincerity that counts. Appreciation can be expressed in many ways, even simple things such as sending a piece of paper half way across the globe. Unbelievable, yet true. That "don't be evil" slogan is no hoax after all...

Well, it's not exactly "a piece" of paper, she also gave me some, around 20, cute sized normal themed and blue themed Chrome stickers to give out to my friends. ;) 

Which reminds me, she said that she's gonna send me a Chrome T-Shirt. I think I'll use it as my next avatar when it arrives. :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 7:39:19 AM

^ I'd be more than willing to take checks if that's true... :lol: 

Makes me wonder, do they have some kind of branch here in Indonesia? People say Google have eyes everywhere... Scary...

Oh well, at least they're not making big profits out of outdated PC hardware like Apple. That bitten apple logo is not without reason, dude! Plus, you have to hold it right. :lol:  I just can't get enough of that iPhone 4 antenna joke...

Talk about being out of the topic. Seriously, we should wait for the OP's response... Since he might ask if the CPU has to be held right or not... :lol:  (again!)
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 7:56:40 AM

That's a good one there, man! Watch out though, maybe Steve Jobs will e-mail you and said: "I'll sue you for this!"

Okay, we gotta knock it off. This can be considered spamming on other people's thread. Unless the OP is feelin' it and decided to tag along.

BTW, dipankar, can your iPhone 4 play Crysis? :lol:  :lol: 

Okay, seriously, I'll stop joking around...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 8:28:30 AM

That's so iFunny, you're iKillin' me! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Umm, can we get reported over this jokes? :heink: 
m
l
October 12, 2010 8:44:17 AM

For me I settle for how much I can afford.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 8:48:00 AM

^ Roger that!
m
l
October 12, 2010 9:20:00 PM

moody89 said:
It's a combination of factors that all contribute to the performance of a CPU. Speed, or more correctly described as frequency, is one of (and arguably the most important) of these factors.

Of the two you listed above, the i7 950 is the better CPU due to differences other than frequency such as architecture etc. the list goes on. To be honest it's a pretty complicated subject but at the most simplistic level, Intel have the better performing CPUs but AMD CPUs are generally considered better value for money etc. Both companies produce great CPUs that have their own individual merits - thorough research is the best way to ensure what you get suits your needs.

The i7 950 is also a very overclockable CPU.

If you need any advice for a new build/upgrade then you're in the right place. Just post your budget and what you use your system for and we can advise based on your own needs.

Yeah I really need help on selecting a final build. Basically to sum it all I want to my system to do high end gaming, web browsing, be future proof and I am willing to spend anywhere between $1500 to $2000 for this system.

I approached a few people the with the following build.

AMD BUILD

CPU - AMD PHENOM II 965 $177.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

Motherboard - Asus Crosshair IV Formula Socket AM3 AMD 890FX $244.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

G.SKILL ECO Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit $104.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda (ST31000528AS) 7200.12 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1000GB (1TB) 32MB Cache (OEM) $62.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1...

Graphics Card - Asus EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5 ATI Radeon HD 5870 Chipset (850MHz ) 1GB (4.8Ghz) GDDR5 Dual Display DVI/HDMI/Display Port Display

PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card $424.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

Power Supply - Corsair HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX EPS12V Power Supply $159.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...

CPU FAN - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 4 Heat Pipes, Copper Base (RR-B10-212P-GP) for Socket LGA1156/1366/775 & Socket AM3/AM2+/AM2 $29.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...

CASE - Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Gaming Case (RC-942-KKN1) $179.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6...

CD/DVD BURNER - Still not sure ??? Help???

Total: $1385.92 before taxes so far

After posting this build a few people commented on that I could easily make a intel system with more bang for my buck. One member suggested the following from this link here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296579-31-final-build...

using canada computer prices

CPU: Core i7 950 ($330)
MOBO: Gigabyte X58-UD3R ($230)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) ($145)
GPU: 2 x ASUS GTX 470 ($600 after rebates)
PSU: Corsair 950TX ($150)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB, WD1002FAEX specifically ($95)

-I didn't see the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB, which is usually cheaper, but performance shouldn't be too different.

CASE: HAF 922 ($90)

That's $1640 and is much faster than what you have in the original post.

Now I really like the intel build except for one thing. The mobo scares me due to all the bad reviews on it from www.newegg.com.

I know its a popular mobo but when I just see those reviews it kinda screams at me and says stay away.

Is there any other mobo that anyone would suggest here from canada computers in this list?:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26_342&p...

I was looking at the Asus P6X58D-E for $239.99 and the Asus P6X58D Premium for $309.99

I don't mind spending the extra money so long as I am getting quality machine.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 12, 2010 10:41:48 PM

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 / PhII 955BE: $285

G.Skill 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333: $118

Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB: $64

Samsung Optical: $31

CM Hyper 212 Plus: $42

Corsair 750HX: $150 (before $10US rebate)

CM HAF 932: $140

That's $830CAN

1) Wait for the new Radeons to come out;
2) Wait for the new 25-nand SSDs to come out (for your OS/Apps);
3) RAID the Spinpoint F3 if $ permits; and
4) Purchase a retail version of Win7-64 if possible (If you may save $ over 2 OEM versions).

All your stuff will move to AM3+ in a year or two (new AM3+ mobo: $200?). At your leisure you may then upgrade to BD Zambezi.
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:17:44 AM

If i was considering buying an i950 cpu what are some of the mobo's from the website to choose as canadiates for this cpu? Hopefully someone can give me at least 3 boards that are note worthy to choose so I can learn and make an informed decision. Any help is most appreciated.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26_342&p...
m
l
!