Sign in with
Your question

AM3 SLI DDR2 Motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2011 7:10:51 PM

Hello all, does anyone know of a quality board that's AM3 SLI and supports DDR2 memory?...I think my ASUS M4N82 Deluxe has just crapped out on me and I need a replacement board but I don't seem to be able to find a suitable replacement.
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 5, 2011 2:04:58 AM

Unless you can find another old board like that, you're screwed. Since the AM3 socket supports both DDR2 and DDR3, most of the manufacturers used DDR3 when given the chance.

If you can afford an extra $40 or so for 4GB of DDR3 memory, you should check out the M4N98TD EVO. It's very similar to the board you have now, but with DDR3.
June 5, 2011 9:49:29 AM

I ended up buying that exact board last night actually :o  It was the same price for a replacement M4N82 which was only a refurbished board with a two week guarantee, as it was for a new M4N98TD EVO and 4 GB of RAM, ridiculous!. Plus the DDR3 1333 should be a bit better performance wise too. I had DDR2 1066.
I hope it was the board that was actually knackered though. I think it was but then I thought it was the SSD the last time and ended up buying a new one of those and another Windows 7 which is a bit of a bummer. I will make a little media centre out of all my spare parts though so it's not too bad. I suppose I will have to just keep replacing parts until I get to the bit that's actually broken!.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2011 7:52:22 PM

they are releasing the 900 chipset boards for the new AMD cpu's they will natively support SLI and Crossfire.
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 2:25:25 AM

Unfortunately, according to reviews the SLI implementation on the new boards seems to be borked somehow. It's artificially limiting performance, and it shouldn't be.
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 3:04:45 AM

maybe due to the fact that there are no AM3+ cpus out now. and that the phenom II isnt as powerfu enough to fully use it. but yeah. they say that when the new cpus come out it should work fine
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 7:31:06 AM

That's not it -- CrossFire on the new boards works like it should. It's just SLI that's not working correctly. Hopefully it's something easy that can be fixed with a BIOS update.
June 6, 2011 10:58:48 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Unfortunately, according to reviews the SLI implementation on the new boards seems to be borked somehow. It's artificially limiting performance, and it shouldn't be.

Is that including the board I just bought?...the M4N98TD EVO?... :sweat: 
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 4:30:06 PM

No. Just the boards that Nugget was referring to with the AMD 990 chipset.
June 7, 2011 10:40:26 AM

Thanks that's a weight off!
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 6:44:25 PM

you're cool marvin. your board should no problems at all.

and MTN dew guy, yeah im pretty sure they will fix it by the time the bulldozers come out. they have to, they released the boards ahead of the cpus. if not then there will be a lot of angry people. lol
!