• New Build
  • Rendering
  • Video Editing
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2010 2:35:54 PM

Hi,

I've built a few computers for my friends before, but they mainly revolved around gaming. Now I need to build one that is more focused on video editing / rendering in in Adobe After Effects. He wants to keep it somewhere close to 1000.00 dollars.

I did a bit of research and seen that the CPU takes most of the load in this type of use, rather than the GPU like it does in gaming. So we decided to go with a better CPU, and a smaller (not to small though) GPU. I wanted to future proof it so i looked for a board that had USB 3.0, Sata 3.0 and was also Xfire or Sli capable.

Here is what i came up with so far. If you see some changes you think need to be made please post and let me know.

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

CPU - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB

RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB

PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W (Will 650W be enough if he wants to go with a second 5770 in the future)

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690

DvD Drive - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R

HDD - He has an old 500GB Sata drive that he will put in the computer.

Here is the list so far. If you think that there are better options than what i have posted, and can stay under or around the 1000 dollar mark please let me know.

Thanks,
Typeo

More about : build heavy video editing rendering

August 5, 2010 5:35:51 PM

i would get the x6 1055t it flies through rendering and video editing

here is a build for $934.92 before $50 rebates and it's cf ready and more future proof

cpu+gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

ram+mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

psu+hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

case+odd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

this build will fly through video editing and encoding and will game very well too plus it's very future proof (probably the most future proof build i ever recommended)

m
l
August 5, 2010 6:32:39 PM

You should look into getting a new drive as well, aside from probably gaining a bit in reliability, it can also speed up the work. Lots of disk activity during encoding video.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2010 6:41:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, its nice you was able to use a lot of the combo deals so save some money. Its a very solid build, and a bit cheaper to. Only problem might be the AMD chip set.

Me personally prefer AMD, but i think my friend who im building this for wanted an i7 CPU. But after a bit of benchmark searching the 6 core does render faster than the 4 core i7 and for about 80 dollars cheaper.

Thanks a bunch for posting this build. Ill show my friend this build and see what he thinks.

Thanks,
Typeo
m
l

Best solution

August 5, 2010 6:53:45 PM

typeo said:
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

CPU - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz

RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB

PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W (Will 650W be enough if he wants to go with a second 5770 in the future)
Answering your questions and commenting on what you've come up with.
That motherboard's second PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot isn't generally fast enough to be worth installing a second graphics card into, and on the Gigabyte product page doesn't list SLI support. I think this will probably be one of the cheapest, yet quality mobos with SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0 and CF/SLI support. MSI P55A-G55 $125 ($20 rebate, $2 shipping).

The i7-870 is the same price as the 860 on newegg, you would be foolish to get the 860 over the 870 when they are the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... And the 870 would be giving the 1055T a run for it's money in your applications.

For the RAM I would either get two sets of these: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO $105 x2 = $210 - You get faster sticks with lower voltage, so they will run cooler.
Or give yourself the option to go up to 16GB (maybe you'll never need to, but it would be nice to be able to without replacing RAM sticks): G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL $190

Yes that PSU will be plenty for a system with two 5770s.
August 5, 2010 7:08:00 PM

Is there any reason to CF/SLI a non-gaming build? Last I checked, there's no benefit aside from being able to use additional monitors. If you're just using the monitors for displaying standard desktop stuff, I'm guessing 16x/4x wouldn't prove much of a problem, as you're not trying to pump out a high level of demanding frames.

You could also consider buying the 1090T for $100 more, if you haven't gone over budget yet, as it would be eve more capable than the 1055T.
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:16:27 PM

I was under the impression that there was going to be some gaming on this computer. Or that he at least wanted the option.
m
l
August 5, 2010 8:10:06 PM

Thanks everybody for all the replies. I've read them all word for word, and taking notes to where i can improve upon the build.

Also, the computer might be used for a bit of gaming, but mainly for video editing and rendering. He originally wanted to go with 2 GPU's, but I told him to start with one as it should be enough for the rendering, and get a second in the future if its ever needed. So to start we are going to stick with one GPU, but we want a Mobo that will support Xfire in case it is ever needed in the future.

Also thanks for pointing out the second slot on the original Mobo being x4. I completely missed that when i was looking over it.

About the RAM, does it make any diffrence performance wise if the ram sticks are 2GB sticks or 4GB sticks? Are the smaller ones more reliable, faster, or cheaper than the larger sized sticks? Or does it not make much of a difference either way?

Thanks,
Taint

m
l
August 5, 2010 8:27:42 PM

typeo said:
Thanks everybody for all the replies. I've read them all word for word, and taking notes to where i can improve upon the build.

Also, the computer might be used for a bit of gaming, but mainly for video editing and rendering. He originally wanted to go with 2 GPU's, but I told him to start with one as it should be enough for the rendering, and get a second in the future if its ever needed. So to start we are going to stick with one GPU, but we want a Mobo that will support Xfire in case it is ever needed in the future.

Also thanks for pointing out the second slot on the original Mobo being x4. I completely missed that when i was looking over it.

About the RAM, does it make any diffrence performance wise if the ram sticks are 2GB sticks or 4GB sticks? Are the smaller ones more reliable, faster, or cheaper than the larger sized sticks? Or does it not make much of a difference either way?

Thanks,
Taint

I would go with 4gig sticks if price is not an issue, you can upgrade pretty much to max out your motherboard if you go that way. If you pick 2gig sticks, you may end up having to replace modules to upgrade. Dell, HP, etc.. were pretty well known for saving a few bucks by using two 256mb sticks to get 512 instead of one chip, when the user wanted to upgrade, both sticks were useless, as they also used cheaper motherboards with only 2 memory slots.
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:40:51 PM

Ok,

Thanks to everybody that has pitched in. Ive made some changes to the build. please tell me what yall think of it.

Mobo - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

CPU - Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz

GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB

RAM - 2x G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB

PSU + HDD - Corsair 650W + Samsung Spinpoint

Case + DvD Drive - CM 690 + SAMSUNG DvD Drive

total is a tad over 1000, but i haven't taken off the mail in rebates yet. But overall, how does this build look?

Thanks for all yalls help,
Typeo
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:52:35 PM

Looks good, though depending on the resolution and the games played, the 5770 may be a little weak. At 1920x1080, I'd expect it to be fine for RTS games & most MMOs, but it may be a little less than desired for FPS games. But since you mentioned it's just light/occasional gaming, it shouldn't be a big deal.
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:59:23 PM

Ya, from what i understand, I don't think it will be used for much gaming. However i made sure and got a Xfire capable Mobo so in case he decides he want's to do some more graphic intensive gaming. He can grab a second 5770 and should be good.

Can't remember what his resolution is though, but i think his monitor is less than 20''.
m
l
August 9, 2010 10:28:53 PM

Best answer selected by typeo.
m
l
!