5770 / 5850 / wait for 6xxx cards and is a 20' monitor enough

Solution
If your not buying untill christams then the new ATI cards (Southern Islands) will be out anyway so you wont have to wait and will know if they are worth getting or not.

Buy now or wait is never cut and dry.

To me it depends on your situation and what you know is coming.
We knew when the 5770 was due out and what to expect roughly in both power and performance terms.
Now if someone had posted about getting a card for a 22" display back then you could have pointed them at a card we knew would be slower in the 4850 or at something similar like the 4870.
But that card needed 2 6 pin PCIE cables and not everyone has two, so it could have meant a PSU upgrade.
So that would make it plain stupidity to just buy what was out now and...
First of all,if you are going to wait,you can't ever buy anything because there is always something new around the corner.
For that resolution,a 5770 suffices, however if you can afford then 5850 then go for it.
5770 can handle every game fine on that res(but you may need to turn off AA/AF in some games in order to get a good FPS),so if you want to play games maxed out with AA/AF then go for 5850.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Here comes the wait for the OMGWTFBBQ card.
So many people said to wait for the 5830 before it came out, I kept saying we don't know how it performs and not even the specs are there.
Well? When it came out those people either ate their words or ran away.
DO NOT RECOMMEND A CARD THAT ISN'T OUT!

Anyways, at a 1600x900 resolution a 5770 will drive most games quite fine.
If you want to play the latest games (Bad Company 2, Call of Pripyat, Just Cause 2, Crysis, etc) at high/very high settings then the 5850 will be worth it.

Who said wait for the 5830? We already knew it was going to be a crippled 5850 waaay before launch. I was one that was trying to steer people away from it. The 460's spec's have been released and AFAIK it should perform VERY well for the price. We already know that due to the 460 the 5830 and the 465 will eventually be phased out of thier respective lineups. By the time X-mas is here he won't even be looking at the current line-up, who knows maybe the 5770 will be priced at 99.99$ by then :)

If your not buying untill christams then the new ATI cards (Southern Islands) will be out anyway so you wont have to wait and will know if they are worth getting or not.

Buy now or wait is never cut and dry.

To me it depends on your situation and what you know is coming.
We knew when the 5770 was due out and what to expect roughly in both power and performance terms.
Now if someone had posted about getting a card for a 22" display back then you could have pointed them at a card we knew would be slower in the 4850 or at something similar like the 4870.
But that card needed 2 6 pin PCIE cables and not everyone has two, so it could have meant a PSU upgrade.
So that would make it plain stupidity to just buy what was out now and not wait for the 5770.

Mactronix :)

Solution