orazal

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hello,

Is it possible for a desktop pc to reboot because of a bad monitor. I have this CPU that keeps rebooting especially during games when im using a 17 inch LCD monitor, but when im using my friends 32 inches Samsung LED monitor/TV.. it doesnt reboot.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Not heard of this before myself but I've been wrong before! If it were the other way round then you may suspect it was due to playing at a higher resolution, but that doesn't really explain this case.

In general, the fact that it reboots during games suggests a temperature/power issue.

HWMonitor from CPUID is a good utility for monitoring all of your hardware and will also show you the temperatures of most of your components:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

If you can post results at idle and at load (run prime95 or other stress-test utility) then that would help.

Inches are not what's important, resolution is. It's possible the 17" monitor actually has a higher res than the TV, if the TV is not 1080p.

Of course, they may connect differently to the computer, and one of those connections or cables could be the issue.