Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
hey guys...
This is my PC config:

Processor & mobo : Intel core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz / DG33FB
RAM : DDR2 Kingston 2 GB
HDD : 250GB WD caviar blue WD2500AAJS 7200rpm
Graphic Card : XFX Geforce 9600GT 512MB

So i just installed the new 2TB WD 20EARX HDD... Intellipower(upto 7200rpm)
On booting win7 it installed the necessary software....
On Disk Management screen it showed 18XX GB of unallocated space...
On right-clicking it showed simple,spanned,striped & mirrored volumes options....
I know that
Spanned Volume - A dynamic spanned volume consists of two or more subdisks (contiguous disk regions) on one or more disks. With a spanned volume, you can combine sections of unallocated space from multiple dynamic disks into one large volume. The areas of unallocated space used to create spanned volumes can be different sizes. Spanned volumes are organized sequentially—that is, Array Manager sequentially allocates space on each disk until that disk is full and then continues with the next disk until the volume size is reached.

Spanned volumes can be extended. After a volume is extended, no portion of it can be deleted without deleting the entire spanned volume. Spanned volumes by themselves are not fault tolerant, but you can add data redundancy to a spanned volume by mirroring it to another disk.

Striped - Striped volumes are created by combining areas of free space on two or more disks into one logical volume. Data is divided into blocks and spread in a fixed order among all the disks in the volume. With a striped volume, data is written to multiple disks, similar to spanned volumes. However, striping writes files across all disks so that data is added to all disks at the same rate.

I certainly dont like simultaneous filling up of HDD.....So no striped volume..... What is the best option???
Simple,Spanned or mirrored. I hv no idea what mirrored is....& what simple partition does...

So which one is the best???I do not want simultaneous filling of HDDs....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...ume-basic-disk
acc to this link HDDs with different RPM will work according to the slowest disk....& as my WD20EARX is caviar green has varying RPM.....
So will Spanning partition cause my PC & primary to work slow than nominal??

Solution
Striped and Mirrored are RAID 0 and RAID 1, respectively. You don't want either of those because your drives aren't the same size.

If you select Spanned, your new HDD will show up as part of your current HDD. I don't see any real benefit to this so I wouldn't recommend it.

Your best bet is 'Simple'. This will assign a new drive letter to your new disk and each drive will work independently of the other.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Striped and Mirrored are RAID 0 and RAID 1, respectively. You don't want either of those because your drives aren't the same size.

If you select Spanned, your new HDD will show up as part of your current HDD. I don't see any real benefit to this so I wouldn't recommend it.

Your best bet is 'Simple'. This will assign a new drive letter to your new disk and each drive will work independently of the other.

Solution

razor2890

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Simple volume ...will it slow down my system..????

razor2890

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
just did Simple volume partitions..
2 drives of 500 GB, 1 of 320 GB (These three are Primary Partitions..)
Last 1 Drive of 540 GB(Logical Drive..)
Is this setup good???
I am going to copy files from my old HDD & merge partitions of my old drive (ie..i had 5 partitions on old drive...i am going to reduce it to two....50GB(OS) and other for software installations...)..

I have a doubt about the no of primary & logical drive...

Primary means it can be used as a boot drive... Now i have 4 primary partition and 5 logical partition..
After merger it will be 4 primary partition & 1/2 Logical Drive...Is it okay???

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
That setup is fine.

The only differences between Primary and Logical are boot-ability (as you noted) and how the drive letters get assigned. Windows assigns drive letters to all Primary partitions first and then goes back and assigns letters to any Logical partitions. So if you add in another HDD, be aware that the Logical partition's drive letter might change.