Sign in with
Your question

Ive added a second hd to my dell e520

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2010 11:36:33 PM

Hello,
cant see my dvd now. I moved my dvd to sata port 4, if i switch the new hd and the dvd cant see the hd. do i need to turn on the port? how do i do that?

More about : ive added dell e520

October 11, 2010 11:42:57 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but as you can see here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime520/e...

Under SATA 0 through to 5, it states that SATA 2 and 3 ports are not supports on this system. I don't think there's an awful lot you can do about this to be honest.

EDIT: Just did some more digging around and found this. It's copied and pasted from another site and it's a bit of a longshot but gotta be worth a go:

"All you have to do is go under the BIOS Settings. Then go to Integrated Peripherals and what you're looking for is something "PCI Device" in it. Go under the submenu and you will probably see " OnBoard SATA Chip" and it will probably say "Sata Disabled" Change it to IDE Controller. And save the BIOS setting. Restart and you should be good."

Or another, seemingly more complete step by step:

"go into the bios by hitting F2 at start up
once in the bios goto "Advanced"
Hit <Enter> on "Integrated Peripherals"
and then Hit <Enter> on the Sata -ATA Configuration
and set it to Sata 1+2
save your bios and your drives will now work."
October 11, 2010 11:56:12 PM

Thanks will try second and let you know. I am aware that dell didnt install ports for 2&3 on the board, i am plugged into 4. I thought it was my dell only but have realized all are set this way after researching.
Related resources
October 11, 2010 11:59:16 PM

I can't imagine why they would be disabled but then again it is Dell so your guess is as good as mine! Let us know how you get on.
October 12, 2010 1:40:20 AM

WOW! that was sooo easy. just had to turn on sata 4 ( it was off so is 5) and it read the dvd player after booting up. thank you. if you would please tell me where i can go to get info on specs of 1tb hd. i was looking at buying on line yesterday and realized that all where 1tb but had different gbs. 3.0, 6.0,... dont understand what that is. thought a 1tb hd is a hd.
thank you again.
October 12, 2010 11:22:27 AM

amk3rd said:
WOW! that was sooo easy. just had to turn on sata 4 ( it was off so is 5) and it read the dvd player after booting up. thank you. if you would please tell me where i can go to get info on specs of 1tb hd. i was looking at buying on line yesterday and realized that all where 1tb but had different gbs. 3.0, 6.0,... dont understand what that is. thought a 1tb hd is a hd.
thank you again.

That would be the speed of the SATA connection. SATA II = 3GB/s, SATA III = 6GB/s. In your system you're not likely to have SATA III since it's relatively new so I'd say you'd be safe with SATA II and 3GB/S.
October 13, 2010 8:25:10 PM

Ok understood.
thanks again.
!